cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't stop indexing

Won't stop indexing on Mac

msheppard
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I installed the mac dropbox update and the application began indexing my files. It has now been stuck for the last few days. I can only access some files. Many are now only available through dropbox.com and not in my app. If I add files to dropbox.com they are added to the indexing queue of the desktop app, but no progress is made regarding indexing. I've tried signing out, quitting, uninstalling, and reinstalling. I've seen similar threads, but no solutions have worked for me. Any help is much appreciated.

383 Replies 383

ClintLugert
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Ditto

Josephus F.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Please delete this thread, it is never ending, the problem is not solvable

ClintLugert
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I've been with DropBox since the beginning, but with each OS update breaking the app; sadly, I'm looking to change to another service.

DropBox is stuck "indexing" on my M1 MacBook Pro since the 14 and 14.1 update. This is the same for many users and has not been remedied. Very frustrating. Please advise.

- Clint

Konigi
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

News on my end! But not good ones, however.

I was in touch with a technician from Dropbox who invited me to restart my computer. I noticed since then a new item who popped on the Activity Monitor: it's called "DropboxFileProvider" and is always taking around 105% of the processor. I don't recall seeing it there before. But it's making the computer fans run at full speed, which make constant loud noise, and drains the battery. It's been ongoing for two days.

I tried to force quit "DropboxFileProvider" but it always come back after a few seconds, even when the Dropbox app is manually closed.

Anyone else experiencing this? I'm not sure I can use my computer normally. I use it to give lectures, and there is a constant fan noise in the background. I noticed more crashes on other apps too.

I'll keep you updated if Dropbox technicians come up with something interesting.

saggyhaggis
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

For what it’s worth, prior to updating my 27” iMac 5k running Ventura, my activity monitor had Dropbox with consistent cpu usage at 127% and its status in the app as constantly syncing with the fans kicking in a few times a day.  To clarify, all my files were synced and up to date.

Since upgrading to Sonoma 14.1 when confirmed as safe by Dropbox, this issue is still occurring, but as far as I am aware, as before, all my files are synced, despite what the app says.

Would be good to get an app update to resolve the high cpu usage / perma-syncing, as Sonoma may not be the reason why some people on here are complaining that syncing won’t complete.  I appreciate that others have clear issues with syncing and missing files which must be a nightmare, but this appears to be a separate issue from what I am experiencing.

Teddy73
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Hello again fellow sufferers,

With discussion that Sonoma 14.1 solves the "stuck indexing" problem for some users, I did a clean erase and installed 14.1.

I did not install any other software, just Dropbox (note the latest version I downloaded is desktop app V186.4.6207).

I followed all the standard installation instructions, but 18 hours later it is "indexing" so it appears to be stuck indexing, the same problem I and many others have had for over a month now. 

I was really hoping a clean install of 14.1 and the latest Dropbox version would have worked.

Has anyone else tried the latest version of Dropbox (desktop app V186.4.6207)?

I still believe the problem is related to upgrading to File Provider. However, the Dropbox desktop app will not allow me to do this because it is stuck "indexing". I just can't get around this.

If anyone has any advice, please let me know.

OceanSunrise
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution
@Teddy73 what I did is I did an advanced reinstall where I wiped out all my previous settings Dropbox and then installed a fresh one. Did you do that? That might work. Here is the link explaining https://help.dropbox.com/installs/advanced-reinstall

Teddy73
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

@OceanSunrise thanks for replying.

I did this advanced reinstall around 2 weeks ago, it didn't work. But I will try again now that Sonoma 14.1 is out and the updated Dropbox desktop app V186.4.6207. Maybe the combination of these new versions will work 🤞

Did it work for you? If so could you tell us what software versions you were using when it worked.

Roberto B.9
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Same for me. I'm on Sonoma 14.1. All it worked but after moving some files, it started to sync...and now it's stucked!!!!

Do I have to contact the supporto to solve?

gregorg
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am stuck on indexing on 14.0, currently upgrading to 14.1 but sounds like I'll still be out of luck.

How do you contact support if you have a lowly basic plan? Does that mean basic users are out of luck?

Need more support?