cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Won't stop indexing on Mac

Won't stop indexing on Mac

msheppard
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I installed the mac dropbox update and the application began indexing my files. It has now been stuck for the last few days. I can only access some files. Many are now only available through dropbox.com and not in my app. If I add files to dropbox.com they are added to the indexing queue of the desktop app, but no progress is made regarding indexing. I've tried signing out, quitting, uninstalling, and reinstalling. I've seen similar threads, but no solutions have worked for me. Any help is much appreciated.

383 Replies 383

FrankieAnn
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

TY

I have an M2 MacBook Pro and synched to Sonoma 14.0.  I can access all files on my laptop, but cannot remotely access any files since 10-1-2023 from my phone.  The SYNC history shows "indexing" at the bottom of a long list of files, but the last activity was 10-1-2023.  It is almost as if there is a block, like the problem with the blank email screens that kept popping up on Macs after Ventura and have still occurred with Sonoma IF there is an email message in DRAFTS that isn't sent.  POINT is, I wonder if there is something similar to "reset" the indexing.  From the list of replies, it appears many folks have uninstalled, reinstalled, etc.  AGREE we need DB to be proactive when new iOS upgrades are issued AND VICE-VERSA.  Apple must also be getting these problems on their help desk.

gyno81
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

thank you very very kind

zukunft-1984
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Updated to Sonoma last night and experienced similar issues: Dropbox indexing and re-syncing all day. It wasn't practical since I was frequently on the move (on/off internet), plus completely unnecessary since all my files were already downloaded offline. Process took long without any issues until it was busy with the last file and then got stuck on 'syncing 1 file' then 'syncing'.. Quitting and restarting is not helping. Plus, all the files I'd been working on today are marked as conflicted although I did find a way to quickly identify these by checking 'folder activity' on Dropbox.com. Also, looks like the conflicted files were created when Dropbox completed indexing/began syncing. Maybe this helps someone avoid or fix the aftermath. 

Also, not sure if relevant but noticed that Dropbox automatically reverted the 'New files default' setting from 'Available offline' to 'Online-only' under Preferences > Sync. Perhaps this had something to do with the indexing + re-syncing everyone is experiencing.

Ps: Still need to do a proper check for other conflicted files and disappearing/deleted files. Will update if that's the case.

Running dropbox 184.4.6543 on an M2 Max

zukunft-1984
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

@zukunft-1984 wrote:

Updated to Sonoma last night and experienced similar issues: Dropbox indexing and re-syncing all day. It wasn't practical since I was frequently on the move (on/off internet), plus completely unnecessary since all my files were already downloaded offline. Process took long without any issues until it was busy with the last file and then got stuck on 'syncing 1 file' then 'syncing'.. Quitting and restarting is not helping. Plus, all the files I'd been working on today are marked as conflicted although I did find a way to quickly identify these by checking 'folder activity' on Dropbox.com. Also, looks like the conflicted files were created when Dropbox completed indexing/began syncing. Maybe this helps someone avoid or fix the aftermath. 

Also, not sure if relevant but noticed that Dropbox automatically reverted the 'New files default' setting from 'Available offline' to 'Online-only' under Preferences > Sync. Perhaps this had something to do with the indexing + re-syncing everyone is experiencing.

Ps: Still need to do a proper check for other conflicted files and disappearing/deleted files. Will update if that's the case.

Running dropbox 184.4.6543 on an M2 Max

Small update: after dealing with the conflicted files and doing some clean up (moving folders and deleting items), dropbox is now stating that my 'files are up to date'

Saylorville
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm now up to 14 days since anything has updated...

Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 4.58.29 PM.png

 

Teddy73
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

I have had the same problem for 2 weeks now. I did a clean install to Sonoma on a MacBook 16" (M1 Max) and a MacBook Air 13" (M2). Downloaded the latest version of DropBox and .... "Indexing". 

I have been monitoring this forum and tried all troubleshooting tips mentioned, many several times. Nothing works and I consider myself having more advanced IT ability.

I see the notice to upgrade to File Provider as DropBox recommends, however, this is not possible as it is still "Indexing". 

I have been using Dropbox since 2010. Rarely had any problems. But this is a significant problem. Made worse by the lack of effort being made by DropBox to offer a solution to the problem.

digows
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

same problem

time to find better alternatives

zukunft-1984
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

@digows wrote:

same problem

time to find better alternatives

But which ones? iCloud drive seems to be the best alternative when using only apple products but I can't live without version history 😕

gyno81
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

ma quando verrà trovata una soluzione? ci avete abbandonato così? 

sono 15 giorni che rimane in Indicizzazione in corso

Teddy73
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

I started using iCloud Drive. It's not as good as Dropbox, but ... it works. If Dropbox takes another month to fix this, I don't think that I will be coming back.

Need more support?