cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox stuck indexing files

Won't stop indexing on Mac

msheppard
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I installed the mac dropbox update and the application began indexing my files. It has now been stuck for the last few days. I can only access some files. Many are now only available through dropbox.com and not in my app. If I add files to dropbox.com they are added to the indexing queue of the desktop app, but no progress is made regarding indexing. I've tried signing out, quitting, uninstalling, and reinstalling. I've seen similar threads, but no solutions have worked for me. Any help is much appreciated.

384 Replies 384

Nate D
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Ping support and get to advanced solutions and they have a fix (basically quit / delete / terminal a few lines / reinstall... )  It seems a new OS needs to re-sync (makes sense) and some installs are hanging on the required index/sync.

I ended up with a new (2nd) dropbox folder that synced from the cloud so ~7 days old...  and the original db folder turned into a regular folder with a date and all the files are there in the original now archived folder... so I'm copying over the stuff that changed in the last ~7 days to the new db folder.  Not ideal but could be FAR worse. 

krisjanis
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have already spent 5 chats on support. So far, no fix. The customer service has been really bad and my business has been frozen because of this. The best I got today was I promised that my ticket would be escalated and sent to a professional tech team that hopefully will get back to me via email.  Unbelievable... I've been fan of Dropbox and used it for years, but this got me really on pause...

manuauh
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have similar issue after updating my Mac to sonoma.

All my files in Dropbox folder unable to open, like excel file and word file and jpg file

How to fix this issue?

cloudres
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

@manuauh honestly, I can open all my files. Even those previously set as "online only." This means that the app is still working. But simply, the algorithm that searches for new files added to Dropbox folders and synchronizes them doesn't seem to be working.

cloudres
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

@CHRISTIAN ARCOS I don't know. There are a pair of threads, not only one. In some way they were been linked, but I do not know tell you more.

Saylorville
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm having the same issue but the "fix hard links" and "fix permissions" didn't fix it. I've closed and reopened dropbox and rebooted my computer. Here's my basic info:

MacBook Pro 16" 2021

Apple M1 Max

macOS 14.0 (23A344)

Dropbox (Beta) v184.4.6543

Screenshot 2023-10-10 at 9.22.31 AM.png

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @CHRISTIAN ARCOS, we totally understand your frustration and we can see you're already in contact with our support team about this.

As Sam's post mentioned, our team is aware of these reports, and unfortunately, this isn't something within Dropbox's control to fix, but we'll update you once we have news.

If you already tried all the suggested troubleshooting, please take a look at previous workarounds we had in the Community, to see if they work for you.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

cloudres
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

@Hannah may I technically ask what it means that all of this is not under Dropbox's control? I would also like to inquire about what you mean by "we will let you know if there is news".

What kind of news are you waiting for, and what can we, who are stuck, expect?

I'd like to take this opportunity to ask if there's a refund planned for those with a paid subscription who, in fact, cannot use Dropbox at the moment.

Oh, by the way, I've noticed that Dropbox Capture isn't working either, of course. Any video I take or create isn't syncing, so I can't forward it to my clients. I'm more than a little frustrated.

gyno81
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

salve è da stamattina che il mio Dropbox rimane fisso su "Indicizzazione in corso". 

Ho Mac OS Sonoma, ho provato a riavviare, ho provato a reinstallare l'applicazione, ho provato anche questa procedura trovata in una discussione qui sul forum correggendo le autorizzazioni e i collegamenti fisici, riavviato di nuovo ma nulla, mi rimane fisso su indicizzazione in corso. 

Aprendo l'app sull'iPhone invece funziona tutto. 

Qualche suggerimento? grazie

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Ciao @gyno81, buon mercoledì!

Sono andato avanti e ho unito il tuo post in un thread simile, poiché altri utenti avevano segnalato l'argomento.

Puoi dare un'occhiata al post di Sam qui.

Vi aggiorneremo non appena avremo ulteriori novità, grazie!

--

Hi @gyno81, happy Wednesday!

I've gone ahead and merged your post under a similar thread, since we had other users reporting on this.

You can have a look at Sam's post here

We'll update you once we have further news, thanks!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?