cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: DropBox Sync Issue After MacOS Sonoma Update

Won't stop indexing on Mac

msheppard
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I installed the mac dropbox update and the application began indexing my files. It has now been stuck for the last few days. I can only access some files. Many are now only available through dropbox.com and not in my app. If I add files to dropbox.com they are added to the indexing queue of the desktop app, but no progress is made regarding indexing. I've tried signing out, quitting, uninstalling, and reinstalling. I've seen similar threads, but no solutions have worked for me. Any help is much appreciated.

383 Replies 383

LRH4
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi

I too have encountered syncing problems after the updating to Sonoma - I have multiple files that are now conflicted and files are missing.

Would love dropbox to find a work around for this.

Stewart Bunn
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm experiencing the same problem. 98% of my files are not accessible in offline mode and only some of my Word files can actually be opened. I've reported the problem to Dropbox who helpfully respond with we're not supporting Apple's latest OSX operating software update - Sonoma. They're working on a fix apparently. It's a nightmare!

LRH4
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I hope they let their help staff know - I wasted time chatting with someone on their help chat - who tried to help me but clearly had no idea about the update problem - let's hope they come up with a solution soon.

cloudres
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

Good morning @Hannah, attempting contact via chat was the first thing I did. I was suggested exactly what I tried to do: a forced restart of DropBox by ending tasks and Finder, followed by a Mac reboot, and finally, a logout and login from my account.

I want to emphasize that in my case, I haven't attempted to resolve the issue with logout and login to avoid data loss, as others have complained about after taking this action.

That said, I would like to see the problem resolved proactively through an update to DropBox, rather than asking the paying users for potential workarounds.

From my perspective, Samantha's message is crystal clear. There's an issue, and we've got confirmation. Can we get more details, and as soon as possible? Is the DropBox team working on a patch?

I continue to wonder how it's possible that after months of Sonoma Beta, we're here patching a sync problem.

Thank you.

cloudres
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution

The version of Dropbox has been updated, and we are now at 184.4.6543 on Mac. I've tried to restart the synchronization by manually pausing it, but it seems like the file indexing hasn't resumed here.

Screenshot 2023-10-04 alle 09.23.08.jpg

davebishopjr
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have the same issue. Been indexing for 2 days and nothing is syncing. Lots of errors in the status icons.

davebishopjr
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Mine has been indexing for 2 days. I'm running the latest. Even downloaded it again and reinstalled it. I rebooted a ton. Nothing positive yet.

Still broke.

Konigi
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm signing up for the updates regarding this issue, which I am also experiencing.

I upgraded from macOS 13.6 to macOS 14.0. The day after, Dropbox re-indexed all my files without noticing, and it took a few hours draining my battery fast. And then, after it seemed to be completed, it's been stuck on "Synchronisation" (in French) for over a week, although it does not seem to be using CPU any longer and I can still add new files which get synced on Dropbox. It nevertheless says "Synchronisation".

Dropbox is on version 184.4.6543.

I also noticed that I can no longer see the previews (such as image thumbnails) for almost all of my online-only files. I'm not sure it's related, as I think it started to happen before the update.

Thank you, looking forward for Apple or Dropbox to fix this 🙂

LanceBurk
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I've recently started experiencing the same syncing problem after upgrading to Mac OS Sonoma. In my case once the indexing files reaches zero, the syncing seems to stop and the "Indexing..." message remains forever.

Also my newly added files are no longer syncing across my other devices as before. I tried reinstalling Dropbox but it didn't resolve the issue. 

LanceBurk
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Also, my current Dropbox version is v183.4.7058. Yesterday, while trying to resolve the issue, I (unknowingly) switched from Dropbox to Dropbox Backup beta. I thought this was the problem and then returned to Dropbox. The problem remains.  

Need more support?