cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will fixing the hard links and permissions break anything in our team's shared folder?

Will fixing the hard links and permissions break anything in our team's shared folder?

Drophelpplease
New member | Level 2

My team and I have the following problem:

We work on a book as a team and therefore have multiple Indesign and associated Links (Images, Pdf's...) in a shared Dropbox folder through the Dropbox Mac App.
When working with Indesign every task is extremely slow - sometimes it's faster when less people work at the office and sometimes it seems very random when it slows down. But it got steadily worse since the beginning and currently is virtually impossible to work...

Everyone on the team works with a Macbook - though some with the Intel based 2019 MBP and others with the M1 Pro Silicon based MBP's.
The problem only affects the new M1 Pro Silicon based MBP's.

As I've read on the Dropbox forums, there might be a software? issue concerning the Silicon based MacBooks where some people experience very slow refresh rates.
I've stumbled on following solution wich I want to try (fixing hardlinks & permissions in the settings):
https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Create-upload-and-share/Dropbox-not-syncing-and-can-t-find-Hardlinks...

My question is:
Will fixing the hardlinks and permissions break, delete or block anything in our files?
Is there perhaps another solution you might suggest we try?

I'm very careful and therefore ask on the forums because we have a final deadline by the end of next week and cannot afford any (additional) issues with our workflow.

Thank you very much.

PS: We tried rebooting, resetting Indesign to default, have the issue on multiple installations, we tried deactivating Indesign automatic refreshing the links or the high quality view...

1 Reply 1

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @Drophelpplease, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Fixing your hardlinks and permissions won't be affecting your files in any way, you can feel free to give it a go.

Let us know how it goes and if it persists, please provide some additional information like the exact OS of the computers having the issue, the app's version on those computers etc.

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?