cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my browser keep asking me to log into Dropbox upon computer startup?

Why does my browser keep asking me to log into Dropbox upon computer startup?

dl48154
New member | Level 2

I am using Windows 10, Edge and Duck Duck Go.  I DON'T have the dropbox app on my computer....I DO have a dropbox account that I could access online only.  I haven't used dropbox in years.

Recently, on startup of my computer (every single time!), a Duck Duck Go page will open with a tab for Dropbox.com, which is tells me it cannot open.  I don't want to open dropbox, nor do I  understand why it is prompting me to do so.

A "google' search for a solution results in suggestions to take dropbox out of the start menu, or to change browser extensions.  But Dropbox is not resident on my computer, so I don't find anything relevant in the start menu or in my browser extensions. I have cleared the cache and history in Edge and Duck Duck Go, without any change.

Any thoughts?

3 Replies 3

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @dl48154! Thanks for posting this here today.

Can you send me a full screenshot of what you keep seeing? I’d like to have a visual and go from there.

Also, what if you change your default browser to something else as a test? Do you still receive this prompt then?

Let me know when you’re ready.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dl48154
New member | Level 2

Thank you for offering to help me solve my problem with Duck Duck Go and Dropbox and Edge.  It turns out that, even though I don't have the Dropbox app resident on my Windows 10 desktop, it still happens to be an option to turn off in the start menu.  That makes no sense to me, and since I knew that I had only used dropbox via the online access to their website, I didn't look thoroughly at the startup menu settings to determine if that was the problem.  But indeed, after checking the tab to deny Dropbox from starting up, I no longer had this problem.  

Thanks again for your offer to help.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @dl48154, if you're seeing the option to prevent Dropbox from starting up on your machine, this means that you could somehow have the desktop app installed, or just a shortcut to the site, which means you could delete it entirely.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    dl48154 New member | Level 2
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?