cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Unable to pin to Start Tiles in Windows 10

Unable to pin to Start Tiles in Windows 10

Andy P.17
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have apps like Excel and Filemaker pinned to the start menu of windows 10 as tiles.  Under those tiles I also have frequently used files.  So just right click the app icon, click the file you want to open and you're off an running.  

BUT....I see now that window will NOT let this work with files that are in Dropbox.  They don't even show up in the recent file list under the tiles.  They DO show up under recent files once you open the app and navigate to recent files. 

I'm assuming this is Microsoft being crabby that people use dropbox instead of their cloud storage.  But....is there a work around?

15 Replies 15

Andy P.17
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Pinning folders...I'll try that.  Very little hope that Msft will help.   Thanks again for hanging in there with me.  One thing I won't do is switch to OneDrive to even see if it avoids this inconvenience.   

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

That's the spirit @Andy P.17!

Also, I agree with you on this one. ðŸ˜‰

If you need anything, give me another shout!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

simonpmundy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, I just ran into what's probably another version of this which I'm sure has arisen from a recent MS Office change. My wife and I share a home finance Excel spreadsheet that lives in our Family Room. It's "Local" to both of us. Me being smart pinned the spreadsheet to the Excel tile on my Windows 10 taskbar; she did not do that on her machine.

The result is that I was always editing the same file which Windows never handed back to the Family Room folder when I "Saved" it in Excel, hers always was saved to Family Room.  So we were working with increasingly different versions of the same file.

I caught that today. Fixed the spreadsheet to include the "missing" entries and UNPINNED from my taskbar Excel tile. Voila! We're now back working on the same file. 

I'm with Andy: MS trying to make life difficult for us non-OneDrive users.

quipette1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm at the same dead end there also, I also have it locally and it also does the same thing. Ugh

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @quipette1!

What’s the exact OS version of the computer you’re using, along with the app version of the Dropbox app on it?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Andy P.17
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
This is sounding more like a file management issue. I'm running excell2010 so I'm certain everyone else is more up to date there. One of the players is not updating files as they should. Dropbox has no reason to be petty and ignore "certain files", that is counter to its whole purpose. Microsoft on the other hand......
Need more support?