cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ubuntu stuck in "Starting ..." and no Folder Location configurable

Ubuntu stuck in "Starting ..." and no Dropbox folder location is shown

sneumann
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

my symptoms are very similar to what other posts have reported, after connecting a fresh Ubuntu 24.04 installation dropbox is stuck in status "starting ....".

I raised the `fs.inotify.max_user_watches` as suggested in several threads, but frankly, my older laptop with Ubuntu 24.04 and far more files is happy at default 65536.

However, when opening the graphical settings on the stuck machine, in the `Sync` tab there is no folder location configured, and clicking on "Move" does not open a selector to choose another location.

The $HOME/Dropbox is formatted as ext4, not encrypted, and mounted upon startup.

=> What could prevent Dropbox from knowing the Dropbox location after installation ? How to manually set it as a workaround ?

Yours,

Steffen

4 Replies 4

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @sneumann, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

If you're not on a Dropbox Basic plan with more than 3 devices connected, could you try an advanced reinstall of the app using the steps in this link?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

sneumann
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

ok, I cleaned any traces of the existing installation. Interestingly, there was no `/var/lib/dropbox`. The Ext4 `$HOME/Dropbox/lost+found` folder was not owned by my user but by root. Fixed now. 

For installation I used the current dropbox_2024.04.17_amd64.deb.

There was no opportunity to `Apply any selective sync preferences you had before the reinstall`, and also no opportunity to `Select the Dropbox folder location` because nothing was asking the question.

The remaining dropbox daemon was downloaded and started, and I have the same situation as before, with `dropbox status` saying "Starting ....", no Dropbox folder configured under Preferences/Sync tab. 

I have temporarily disabled firewall, security and apparmor, which didn't help.

Anything else to try ? 

Yours,

Steffen

sneumann
Explorer | Level 4

One more thing, running dropbox under strace I found 

`[pid 8614] rename("/home/sneumann/Dropbox", "/home/sneumann/Dropbox (Old)") = -1 EBUSY (Device or resource busy)`

This totally makes sense, manually running mv gives the same:
```

mv Dropbox Dropbox-old
mv: cannot move 'Dropbox' to 'Dropbox-old': Device or resource busy

```

since there is a dedicated partition mounted:
`/dev/nvme0n1p7 on /home/sneumann/Dropbox type ext4 (rw,relatime)`

because the rest of $HOME is sitting on xfs:
`/dev/nvme0n1p6 on / type xfs (rw,relatime,attr2,inode64,logbufs=8,logbsize=32k,noquota)`

=> Could that be the culprit ? If yes, how to setup partitions if I want xfs for `/`  and `/home` ?

Yours,

Steffen

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Have you tried uninstalling the Dropbox app entirely, and then rebooting the device, deleting the old Dropbox folders, and reinstalling it again?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?