cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: The Dropbox app won't launch on my PC

The Dropbox app won't launch on my PC

Bob4244
Helpful | Level 5

Hello.  The Dropbox App on my Windows 10 PC isn't launching any more. I've used this Dropbox setup for years, have made no changes to my PC (Windows 10) or security (that I'm aware of), yet when I click on the Dropbox tray icon (or from the actual Program app location on the C drive) I get the normal "progress spin pop up" for 3 seconds, then nothing. I Rebooted the PC = nothing. I uninstalled the App using Revo Uninstaller, Restarted, Reloaded = works once, close, then attempt to open Dropbox again = same problem. I checked the Community posting, but no luck. I opened Task Manager to the Dropbox processes, opened "Details" and this is the screenshot. I don't know if this is meaningful information. Suggestions? Thanks.

Screenshot (495).png

28 Replies 28

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi from me as well, @Bob4244! Hope it’s OK to jump in.

Can you please click on the small Dropbox icon in your system tray, and let me know what’s the current syncing status it shows?

Are you having any issues when clicking there? 

If not, do you mean that you're having trouble opening the local Dropbox folder by clicking on the shortcut that's located at the sidebar of your File Explorer?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

marpitch
Helpful | Level 5

Hi @Bob4244,

I no longer have the icon that stopped working.  I uninstalled the program when I was having trouble.  When I went to reinstall it, the app was no longer available in the Microsoft Store (don't know why).  

It doesn't really matter because when I click on the properties of the icon I am using now it shows that it is in the System Tray.  Everything seems to be syncing as it did before.  When I add a new item it shows on my laptop, Android phone and Ipad.  So, my problem seems to be solved.  At least I hope so!

JeanneG1
Explorer | Level 4

Hannah, I just got a new laptop today and downloaded the app for desktop through the windows store. I get the icon on my toolbar but nothing happens when I click on it. I am PC based running Windows 11.  I have all my drop box files accessible through the web browser version but i was hoping the desktop app would work.

Bob4244
Helpful | Level 5

Hello JeanneG1, I started this thread so your recent post popped up in my mailbox.  I unfortunately have nothing to add beyond the above. I have been migrating off the Drop Box platform. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @JeanneG1, sorry to see you're having trouble with the Dropbox desktop app.

Are you referring to the Dropbox icon in your system tray here or a different one?

What do you see when you simply hover over it with your mouse?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

SandraSim
New member | Level 2

I have discovered the same problem on my laptop.  The app was working a while ago but now does not open.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @SandraSim! What’s your Dropbox app’s syncing status and app version? 

Do you mean that you can no longer see the Dropbox icon in your system tray/menu bar?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

SandraSim
New member | Level 2
I have the app on my desktop and when you click on it it does not open Dropbox nothing happens.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

I see. If you right click on the Dropbox icon instead, do you see any options then? If yes, feel free to send me a screenshot. 

Other than that, have you restarted your computer since the issue occurred?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

JeanneG1
Explorer | Level 4

when I right click on the icon in my task bar, it shows the Drop Box icon and the unpin from taskbar.

then i right click on that Dropbox icon and it gives me options to open, run as admin, properties. when I click on open-I get nothing, when I click run as admin-I get nothing,

here is the screen shot when I open properties:

Screenshot 2024-06-19 090822.png

Need more support?