cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: The Dropbox app won't launch on my PC

The Dropbox app won't launch on my PC

Bob4244
Helpful | Level 5

Hello.  The Dropbox App on my Windows 10 PC isn't launching any more. I've used this Dropbox setup for years, have made no changes to my PC (Windows 10) or security (that I'm aware of), yet when I click on the Dropbox tray icon (or from the actual Program app location on the C drive) I get the normal "progress spin pop up" for 3 seconds, then nothing. I Rebooted the PC = nothing. I uninstalled the App using Revo Uninstaller, Restarted, Reloaded = works once, close, then attempt to open Dropbox again = same problem. I checked the Community posting, but no luck. I opened Task Manager to the Dropbox processes, opened "Details" and this is the screenshot. I don't know if this is meaningful information. Suggestions? Thanks.

Screenshot (495).png

28 Replies 28

marpitch
Helpful | Level 5

Same here.  I uninstalled it and re-installed it.  I use this daily and want to get back on it asap.  I use Windows 11

Bob4244
Helpful | Level 5

Hello, here's an update to this launch problem. Dropbox is still not opening properly when attempting to launch from the Taskbar Icon, or the Windows Program list, or from the app in the C drive programs folder. But, in the System Tray is another Dropbox Icon, and clicking that launches Dropbox, and it appears to be working properly.   So, while the overall behavior is disconcerting, I'll be working with this approach until I find an entirely new approach to managing my files in the cloud.

marpitch
Helpful | Level 5
Thanks for your help. I've done the work around. I still hope the windows app will work as it did and should.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Bob4244 & @marpitch - thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Could you please let us know the OS version of your computer and the version and status of the desktop app as shown in your system tray

Did you reboot your computer since you first noticed this and do you happen to be running any antivirus, firewall or VPN/proxy setting on your device(s)? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

marpitch
Helpful | Level 5

Hello,

I have new HP Spectre laptop that is running Windows 11.  The dropbox app from the Microsoft  Store was working perfectly since I bought this laptop about 4 months ago.  Then a few days ago it the app wouldn't open.  I fiddled around until I was able to copy a link from the web.  I moved that smaller looking icon to my taskbar and it seems to be working now.  I honestly don't know what I did.   It's NOT the original app I got from the Microsoft Store.  Im attaching a screenshot. 

When I go back to the Microsoft Store there is NO app for Dropbox.Screenshot (6).png

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @marpitch, thanks for the update here.

The Dropbox app you downloaded from the Microsoft Store is not the Dropbox client that actually syncs your files to your computer, like the other user on this thread.

It's the Dropbox for Windows in S Mode (Dropbox Lite) app. It works more like our mobile app.

If you prefer using that app, that's of course up to you, especially if it works the way you want it to.

If you're still having issues, let us know.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

marpitch
Helpful | Level 5

Is that the same as Dropbox lite?

marpitch
Helpful | Level 5

It sounds like the S Mode version doesn't have all of the features.  I mentioned earlier that I'm not sure how I got the icon that I have, but it seems to be working and syncing with my Android phone and iPad.

I am curious why the original app that I was using from the Microsoft Store is no longer available?  It was working fine and then just stopped.

Bob4244
Helpful | Level 5

Hello,

here is the version information you requested in attached screenshots.

Regarding your questions, I turned off my computer and restarted it. 

As for Antivirus, I run Avast, but disabled it when I was trying to troubleshoot this problem.

Finally, from the Dropbox folder on the C drive, I ran the troubleshooter. No change.

I hope this helps.Screenshot (496).pngScreenshot (497).png

Need more support?