cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing even when the app is off

Syncing even when the app is off

albinotoni
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

My dropbox is syncing on two different macs when the app is off. On the DB-preferences I have checked out starting the app on startup and dropbox is also not on the list of apps which are started when logging in in the preferences of mac. The other mac is running Ventura and the other Monterey. Has anyone else noticed similar?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Emma
Community Manager
Go to solution

Thank you for your patience. We are aware of this change that was introduced as part of Apple’s File Provider update. Dropbox will continue to sync even when the app is shut off. If you do not want the sync to continue in the background, you can select 'pause sync'. 

​​

​​We are currently working on a solution which is planned for release in Q3 this year. However, please note that this is a preliminary date and is subject to change.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

21 Replies 21

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @albinotoni, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you clarify the app's version as shown in your menu bar?

Also, can you try toggling back on the auto-startup option through the app's preferences under the General tab and then back off again?

Let me know what you find!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

albinotoni
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Where exactly should I find the app's version number? I will try toggling next, but the app is not starting (there isn't menu bar icon and system monitor shows only two background(?) services, DropboxFileProviderCH and DropboxFileProvider. And this is happening (at least) on two different macs.  

albinotoni
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Found it. The version on other computer is v169.4.5684. I am not near the other problematic mac now, will check it later.

albinotoni
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Toggling the checkbox did not help. And I rebooted the computer after the changes on and back, since that'll be the next thing you'd ask.

One thing that I noticed today was that after turning on this computer for the first time today (the app was not on) , there were some files missing in one db-directory. The files were two text files made on this same computer. I made a new text file on the same directory and after a little while it synced and the missing files came back also. The actual app was still not on. I can also see all the status icons on my db-directories while the app is not on. This is different than it used to be before the last big update, if that matters.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @albinotoni, interesting finds you have there.

Could you possibly send me a couple of screenshots of this (the icons in your Dropbox folder while the app is not running & the app's syncing status), in order for me to have a clear visual too? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

albinotoni
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

dbscreencap230321.png

Hi. Here is a screenshot of one folder after the restart (dropbox app is not on). System monitor shows couple of processes related to dropbox, and I guess these should be on. In the folder, there is a text file called dbtest230321 which I just made. It synced almost immediately to cloud and I can open it on my cellphone. As you can see, the icons after the filenames also show that the files are online.

I didn't quite understand, how should I take a screenshot of the app's syncing status while it is not on?

fssbob
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

I've noticed that with the new Mac version, syncing takes place regardless of whether the Dropbox app is running or not. Given that, what functionality is added or taken away by running or not running the Dropbox app?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@fssbob wrote:

I've noticed that with the new Mac version, syncing takes place regardless of whether the Dropbox app is running or not. Given that, what functionality is added or taken away by running or not running the Dropbox app?

Dropbox can't sync if the application isn't running. Are you sure it's not just running in the background? I'm, not a Mac user, so I'm not familiar with any differences that may exist between Dropbox on Windows vs. a Mac, but I know that it can't sync if Dropbox isn't running.

fssbob
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

That used to be the case, but with the new version the syncing is at least partially delegated to the Mac File Provider API, which continues to run regardless of whether the Dropbox application is. I just watched as a Mac with Dropbox installed fully synced incoming changes with the Dropbox application disabled.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Emma Community Manager
    albinotoni Helpful | Level 6
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    fssbob Collaborator | Level 10
What do Dropbox user levels mean?