cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop creating a file (.dropbox.device) on every device I connect to my pc!

Stop creating a file (.dropbox.device) on every device I connect to my pc!

bob99
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Simple solution had at least an option in the settings to disable this feature.

I red a lot of messages in this community going back over a year now... and I understand why it's being created to help your software with notification... but I am sure their is a better way of doing this without writing an unwanted file on every external device.

54 Replies 54

immerge consul jinks tribade
New member | Level 2

This is right, I installed it without admin rights, and now I see that yellow bar. If I click "Reinstall" there, Dropbox refuses to reinstall without administrator privileges.

New member | Level 2

As for your my two external drives, when I connect them, Dropbox offers to back them up. I refuse, and it creates the 

.dropbox.device

in their root (I've been googling for a solution and that's how I came to this thread)

New member | Level 2

> Do you wish to be able to plug-in your external drive, without them being affected, or shown in Dropbox? 

I want to be able to plugin external drives without popups, and to avoid creation of the file

.dropbox.device

there

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @immerge consul jinks tribade, you should be able to have a "Do not ask again" prompt box specifically for the device you've plugged in. Isn't that the case? 

If you click on Manage Backups, do you have any active backups at the moment? 

As for the .dropbox.device file: if you're plugging in an external drive to your computer, if you choose not to back it up to Dropbox, then to prevent the app from prompting about the same drive in the future, the dropbox.device file is created there.

This isn't locally stored in the Dropbox desktop application. If you delete the file, then the app will again prompt you if you want to back it up, each time it is deleted.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Gigabyte
Helpful | Level 6

Why are you using a device to save on him files, used in Dropbox? Is it really not possible to use a local database and save Volume ID in database?

You're doing it wrong! Sometimes we return someone else's external drive with an alien file.

What if the owner of storage also used Dropbox and backup function, and there is a file on the disk that suddenly prohibits this?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Gigabyte Helpful | Level 6
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    immerge consul jinks tribade New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?