cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smart sync icons missing

Smart sync icons missing

Greg T.16
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The venerable "missing smart sync icons" problem.

• MacOS Mojave 10.14.2 
  • Dropbox 64.4.141.  (Professional Acct)
  • Have reinstalled DB several times (including via full desktop download).
  • Tried the "check-uncheck finder integration"  (have uncheck, uninstalled, reinstalled, rechecked, too).
  • Have unlinked account and relinked account.
  • ForceQuit finder more times than I can remember.
  • Have ForceQuit the Dropbox Finder Integration app.. every time b/f restarting or trying fresh install.

Menu options for local vs OnlineOnly are active and work. Just can't tell looking at any file/folder in Finder whether it is local or online only.

What am I missing?

OneDrive does this, no problem.  Just about at my ropes end with DB.

121 Replies 121

casanova09
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hope this helps, but I had an issue like this and found out that it was due to Finder being glitched. 

I was able to open the dropbox app and see the symbols, but when I would open finder there would seem to be no sync symbols next to any data. 

I removed the Dropbox from the favorites sidebar and simply re added the dropbox application back to the sidebar. 

David G.67
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Fast forward to 2023 and I am having this problem with a late 2019 2.3GHz 8 core i9 MacBook Pro running macOS Ventura 13.2.1 and Dropbox v169.4.5684.

I have completed all the steps described in your fix but the sync status icons refuse to appear.

I do also have a Mid 2014 MacBook Pro running macOS Big Sur 11.7.4 and Dropbox v169.4.5684 (i.e. the same version of Dropbox on both computers) and the sync status icons appear with no issues.

It would appear the issue might be related to macOS Ventura. I am also having some issues, for example some document files (PDF documents and aliases) showing genereric icons, which suggests other issues with Ventura.

Any suggestions for a fix would be gratefully received.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @David G.67, would you mind sending us a screenshot of how the sync icons appear on your files?

On your computer running Ventura, did you get a notification to update the Dropbox app to Dropbox for macOS and have you performed the update?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

skydogpictures
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

When you say "smart sync icons" do you mean the little green check marks next to your folders that let you know you're syncing from your desktop to the on-line Dropbox?

I'm a very new Macbook Air using Ventura OS and I can't seem to see those icons. In fact unless I go on line to my dropbox account and actually upload folders, they won't sync from my desktop. I am on a Dropbox Plus plan not professional or Business. Could this be the problem as to why I am not seeing those icons or why my files are not syncing automatically to the on-line dropbox page?

Thanks.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @skydogpictures, sorry to hear you;re having issues with this.

Can you please send us a screenshot of the app's exact status and version as shown in your menu bar at the moment? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

DV87
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm having this issue too. Seeing the history here, it seems like a persistent problem, and it really hinders the usability of Smart Sync. I recently switched to a new computer (Mac Studio with M2 Ultra chip running MacOS Ventura 13.4.1 (c)) and this is a fresh installation of the latest Dropbox app. I was able to get the sync icons to come back once by going to System Settings > Privacy and Security > Extensions > Added Extensions > Dropbox — and then unchecking the checkboxes associated with Dropbox... Then I relaunched Finder and rechecked those same checkboxes. However, every time I restart the computer the sync icons disappear again, and I haven't been able to get them to come back again since that first time. I've tried all of the highlighted solutions in this thread — but none are working anymore. When I right-click a file, I am able to see the finder options to "make available offline" and/or "make online only" — so clearly the functionality is there. I just don't see the sync status icons. I suspect this might be some sort of issue pertaining to this Apple operating system since it's still relatively new... But given that this thread dates back more than a year, it appears to be an ongoing problem for Apple users. 

StWi
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I quit my other Cloud applications as suggested and the DB icon was revealed - but the other cloud apps were not causing any sync issues, DB and the others are all working fine, it's just there is not enough space in the menu bar to show the icons so they are hidden by the one on top (One Drive, then Google Drive, then Dropbox).  Annoying, hopefully I can find a way to make space for them.

vegarhoel
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

What to do if this stille does not work? 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @vegarhoel, welcome to our Community! 

Would you mind sharing some additional info with us such as your OS, Dropbox version and syncing status? Do you face the exact same issue as the OP?

Also, feel free to let us know if you've tried any troubleshooting steps on your end, just to make sure we're aligned. 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

vegarhoel
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi, 

I'm on macOS Monterey vs. 12.6 (would prefer not to update this just yet), and my Dropbox vs. is v184.4.6543.

All the sync icons have disappeared from my finder. I have tried updating Dropbox, unchecking/checking allowed Finder extensions, restarting Finder and restarting the mac. The icons disappeared from my mac alone, none of my teammates' macs are affected by this. 

I am working with huge folders that I sync and unsync, I am completely dependent on this. Please advise. 

Regards, Vegar

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    MLondon Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?