cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: icon is clouds - how to get files to download to computer

Set all folders to "make available offline" on macOS

jwhitley
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

In the new macOS FileProvider API version of Dropbox, is it possible to recursively set all folders to "make available offline"?  If so, does this setting persist for newly added sub-folders?  I've read reports that each individual folder must be manually set, which is completely unacceptable if true.

My key use case is that I ALWAYS want every file in Dropbox synced to my Mac so it will be included in my backup process. Automatically and/or silently reverting to "online" behavior is therefore never OK. A related use case is that I need to be able to trust "make available offline" for times when I may not have robust connectivity and/or for when redownloading is unacceptable. Concrete example, among many: if I'm presenting, I need to know that all presentation assets are local. Delaying a professional presentation because "downloading" is a bad look.

With the old version of Dropbox, the above workflows were essentially bulletproof, and my longstanding ability to rely on that is literally what makes me a paying customer. What I'm reading of the new version give me significant doubts.

27 Replies 27

lls3
New member | Level 2

Same sentiment. I am furious with thousands of photos that i have to "move" so I can work with them. Dropbox was THE reason I didn't bother with anyone else's cloud - your system was seamless and flawless and I could go from device to device and know my files were accessible. I absolutely deplore what you've done and regret the money I've spent for the "professional" version.

Xmelanie
Explorer | Level 4

Hi. Mac user. 

Goal: use Dropbox to sync files between work computer and home computer, keeping parallel structure and files saved locally on both machines, and availability to download to phone or iPad as needed. Be able to run backups e.g. TimeMachine. Local storage is important to me. Being able to keep a backup on an external drive is important to me.

I had this set up - was fine. But got a new MacBook and ran the migration assistant: now all my dropbox files are online only. 🤨

I see a setting in the preferences to save *new* files locally, available offline - but I want all my files to be saved locally, and available offline.

Where is the button I can click that will make all of my files download so I can keep a backup copy?
And why does Dropbox keep trying to "help me" by putting my files in a place where I can not keep backups, or access them in the event of any kind of server or internet outage? 

Xmelanie
Explorer | Level 4

I do see that I can go and hit download on the 106 folders I have and 171 files living outside of folders. But can I do this all at once, and will this result in local folders and files that will sync?

Rich
Super User II

@Xmelanie wrote:

Where is the button I can click that will make all of my files download so I can keep a backup copy?

Select all files and folders, right-click them and select Make available offline.

church media
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I'm on a Mac desktop.  In the Apple Menu at the top right I click the dropbox logo and see my files.

It says your files are up to date.

I want to view my files.  They can be seen in thumbnail version.  of the 8 in the folder 

ONE has a green checkmark.  

The rest have a cloud in the bottom right corner.

I deleted the app. and resinstalled.

Same problem.

How do I get them to appear on the computer so they can be used 

WITHOUT going to dropbox on line and downloading each file?

signed, ChurchMedia

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@church media wrote:

I want to view my files.  They can be seen in thumbnail version.  of the 8 in the folder 

ONE has a green checkmark. The rest have a cloud in the bottom right corner.

Right-click the files and select Make available offline, then give it a moment to sync.

church media
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks this worked  🙂

BUT

Is there a way for this to automatically be set - instead of doing it for each individual item?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @church media, if you want all your Dropbox files to become available offline, you can follow the steps that Rich gave you, on the Dropbox folder itself.

I hope this helps!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?