cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Selective Sync Support on Linux

Selective Sync Support on Linux

Tobias3
Helpful | Level 6

Hi,

I am a longtime paid Dropbox customer on Linux. The set of data I would like to keep and backup in the cloud is growing beyond the size of my hard drive, and I need a solution to selectively sync only parts of my online Dropbox folder to my local drive. That has been possible for a long time on Windows, but unfortunately is still not possible on Linux. Are there plans to bring this feature to the Linux app at any point? Otherwise I will start looking for a new cloud storage solution.

Thanks,

Tobias

3 Replies 3

Mark
Super User II

Dropbox doesnt release roadmaps I'm afraid @Tobias3 and, if I am honest, isnt something I've seen them ever mention. 

Have you looked at the feature requests area?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

ldorigo
Explorer | Level 3

It's a terrible UX (I wish there was something like a `.dropboxignore` file to tell it which files to ignore or even to just ignore any directory in which that file is present), but I seem to have that option on the dropbox app: 

Screenshot_20231006_132546.png

(The wording is super confusing and the UX is terrible as everything else in the Linux app. I really wish they didn't treat linux like a 13th class citizen, I'm sure a *lot* of developers would like slightly better support. I know we're not the target users, but surprisingly Dropbox is one of the only sync services I tried that does actually work pretty well with large codebases and can even sync git repositories without too much pain)

thedbuser
Explorer | Level 3

dropbox exclude add 'dir_name'

What I did was:

for dir in *;do echo "${dir}";dropbox exclude add "${dir}";done

dropbox exclude remove dir_that_I_want_to_keep_synced

Need more support?