cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about moving Dropbox folder to a new drive

Question about moving Dropbox folder to a new drive

SatchBoogie1
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I bought a new hard drive for my computer. I want to change the disk drive location for my Dropbox folder from my current disk drive location to the new one. I know where to go in the app settings to change the folder.

My question is this - Will it sync and download all my content again from Dropbox's servers OR will it locally move the contents in the current Dropbox folder to the newly set destination on my new disk drive? In other words, I don't want to tie up internet bandwidth downloading the same content already in the current DB folder when I can do a "copy / paste" or "move to" action in Windows File Explorer (which would also be faster).

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

@SatchBoogie1 wrote:

Will it sync and download all my content again from Dropbox's servers OR will it locally move the contents in the current Dropbox folder to the newly set destination on my new disk drive?

It will move the existing folder to the new location, but it will likely index your files as well, which will give the appearance that it's uploading or downloading. Just let it work.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II

@SatchBoogie1 wrote:

Will it sync and download all my content again from Dropbox's servers OR will it locally move the contents in the current Dropbox folder to the newly set destination on my new disk drive?

It will move the existing folder to the new location, but it will likely index your files as well, which will give the appearance that it's uploading or downloading. Just let it work.

SatchBoogie1
New member | Level 2

This appeared to work.

I did have some random files and folders appear as sync conflicts. Most of them were from six years ago that didn't show in either my local folder or online folders. So I'm not sure how they appeared. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

SatchBoogie1 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?