cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem in Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS - Dropbox stopped working

Problem in Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS - Dropbox stopped working

yurisobral
Explorer | Level 3

My Dropbox folder is no longer syncing. I used to run smoothly, so I am guessing a recent Ubuntu update broke something. This is what I get when I run Dropbox on the command line:

yuri@yuri-dell:~$ dropbox start
Starting Dropbox...Bootstrap panicked!!

The Dropbox daemon is not installed!
Run "dropbox start -i" to install the daemon

If I do what it tells me to do, this is what I get:

yuri@yuri-dell:~$ dropbox start -i
/usr/bin/dropbox:303: PyGIDeprecationWarning: Since version 3.11, calling threads_init is no longer needed. See: https://wiki.gnome.org/PyGObject/Threading
GObject.threads_init()
/usr/bin/dropbox:453: PyGTKDeprecationWarning: Stock items are deprecated. Please use: Gtk.Button.new_with_mnemonic(label)
self.ok = ok = Gtk.Button(stock=Gtk.STOCK_OK)
/usr/bin/dropbox:458: PyGTKDeprecationWarning: Stock items are deprecated. Please use: Gtk.Button.new_with_mnemonic(label)
cancel = Gtk.Button(stock=Gtk.STOCK_CANCEL)
/usr/bin/dropbox:348: DeprecationWarning: setDaemon() is deprecated, set the daemon attribute instead
t.setDaemon(True)
/usr/bin/dropbox:334: PyGIDeprecationWarning: GObject.idle_add is deprecated; use GLib.idle_add instead
GObject.idle_add(self.loop_callback, *ret)
/usr/bin/dropbox:344: PyGIDeprecationWarning: GObject.idle_add is deprecated; use GLib.idle_add instead
GObject.idle_add(self.on_done)
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/yuri/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-187.4.5691/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._openssl.abi3.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/yuri/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-187.4.5691/cryptography.hazmat.bindings._padding.abi3.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/yuri/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-187.4.5691/apex._apex.abi3.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/yuri/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-187.4.5691/psutil._psutil_linux.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/yuri/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-187.4.5691/psutil._psutil_posix.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/yuri/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-187.4.5691/tornado.speedups.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
dropbox: load fq extension '/home/yuri/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-187.4.5691/wrapt._wrappers.cpython-38-x86_64-linux-gnu.so'
success!
Bootstrap panicked!!
Done!

Captura de tela de 2023-12-05 12-35-05.pngCaptura de tela de 2023-12-05 12-35-36.png

Any ideas of what might be the problem and how to solve it?

Thank you very much in advance!

Yuri

10 Replies 10

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for letting us know about this, @yurisobral.

As a first step, can you please check that your machine meets the minimum requirements for the Dropbox app to work correctly?

How long has Dropbox been installed and working on this machine?

Let me know and we'll go from there.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

yurisobral
Explorer | Level 3

Hello there, Hannah!

Thanks for your reply. I have checked everything and it seems that I do have all the minimum requirements to run dropbox on my machine. In fact, it has been running on this machine since day 1 I bought it, and I've upgraded to Ubuntu 22.04 basically since it was released last year very smoothly, without any major problem.

Please find below some screenshots to help you check all this info.

I still can't make dropbox run on this machine.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Yuri

Captura de tela de 2023-12-06 18-17-28.pngCaptura de tela de 2023-12-06 18-20-29.pngCaptura de tela de 2023-12-09 12-41-35.pngCaptura de tela de 2023-12-09 12-44-00.png

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@yurisobral, you have 2 issues. You have customized your system (unsupported version of Python installed). ntfs is NOT supported on Linux. That's it.

PS: You may try workaround (the first issue) with a command like:

sudo wget -O /usr/bin/dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/download?dl=packages/dropbox.py

Good luck.

yurisobral
Explorer | Level 3

Dear Здравко,

Thanks for your comments.

Please note that linux and dropbox are both installed on the sda6 partition, which is an ext4 partition. Please note that Dropbox was running perfectly (for the last 5 years or so) until a couple of weeks ago.

I do not recall changing the python version on my ubuntu. This is the version that I have installed right now:

Captura de tela de 2023-12-10 20-52-13.png

Your workaround did not work, unfortunately. It seems to do something:

Captura de tela de 2023-12-10 20-56-13.png

But when I run dropbox I still get the "bootstrap panicked" message.

Cheers,

Yuri

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @yurisobral, sorry to jump in here, but have you tried creating a new OS profile and installing the desktop app there? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@yurisobral wrote:

/usr/bin/dropbox:303: PyGIDeprecationWarning: Since version 3.11, calling threads_init is no longer needed. See: https://wiki.gnome.org/PyGObject/Threading
GObject.threads_init()

@yurisobral wrote:

I do not recall changing the python version on my ubuntu. This is the version that I have installed right now:

Captura de tela de 2023-12-10 20-52-13.png

Hm...🤔 I cannot say anything more than - strange... Anyway.

Can you post following command output:

which dropbox

as well as the "dropbox start -i" command output once again, after it's updated already with wget.

yurisobral
Explorer | Level 3

There you go!

Captura de tela de 2023-12-11 14-17-48.png

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

As seems you have some configuration issue on your system I cannot comment (I use the same configuration and don't have any "panicked"). 🤷

Anyway... As seems, your Dropbox daemon run already in spite. So you should be able sync whatever you like in you Dropbox folder (by default ~/Dropbox; in your case /home/yuri/Dropbox).

You can confirm that with:

dropbox status

Good luck. 😉

yurisobral
Explorer | Level 3

Dear Здравко,

Thank you for all your help!

No, unfortunately I cannot sync. Dropbox is not running! Check the last line on the image below!

😞

Captura de tela de 2023-12-11 14-40-33.png

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    yurisobral Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?