cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online only files still taking up space on hard drive!

Online only files still taking up space on hard drive!

Peter Marigold
Explorer | Level 3

I'm trying desperately to clear out my hard drive (so Photoshop can open!) and have made tons of folders and files 'online only' sometime ago.

However, when I inspect the the folders and files (I'm using the app Folder Size) these STILL take up space on my laptop. 

An example of one folder here is my 'Camera Uploads' which are entirely online only (the grey cloud icon), but still taking up 18gb of space. This is the case for all the folders that are 'online only'

Any idea what is going on here?

removed links 

TIA. 

11 Replies 11

Peter Marigold
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jay, 

afraid it's going to be a bit clunky... I'll focus on one folder to start as there are loads in there!

So looking at the LONDON MET folder called '2.PROSPECT' it says there is 2.9GB inside...  

PeterMarigold_0-1723882862444.png

Inside that is a folder called 'PROSPECT HM' - showing 1.89GB:

PeterMarigold_1-1723883061000.png

Inside that folder is a list of films. The Foldersize app I'm using indicates that those films are taking up space on the hard drive:

PeterMarigold_2-1723883107498.png

however when I open the same folder using the windows file explorer it shows all the same files with the grey cloud icon:

PeterMarigold_3-1723883231500.png

Also, just to be thorough, the 'Prospect HM' folder also has the grey cloud icon in file explorer if I go up a level:

PeterMarigold_4-1723883309401.png

Also, if I click on the properties of that folder, it shows that it is using 1.88GB

PeterMarigold_5-1723883374892.png

Thanks for your help!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Peter Marigold, I hope you don't mind if I join the discussion!

I wanted to point out something very important about the size of your files.

If you go to the Dropbox folder in your file explorer and right click on an "online-only" folder and choose "properties", you will see the size of the folder, but if you take a closer look, right under "size", you'll see "size on disk"; that's the actual size of the folder on your hard drive.

And that is because you made the folder online-only.

If you were to right click on the same folder, choose to make it available offline, and follow the same steps, the "size on disk" number should show the same info as the "size" one. Can you confirm that's the case?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Peter Marigold Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?