cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No context menu on windows 10. Selective sync also doesn't work.

No context menu on windows 10. Selective sync also doesn't work.

dnemes
Explorer | Level 4

Hey All, 

Originally I had the issue, that my dropbox doesn't sync properly to one of my machines: a Windows 10 PC. It looks as if one of my folders is selectively synced (90% of its contents are unavailable on my machine), while no selective sync is set up in the preferences - and the missing folders do show up in the relevant preference pane.

While looking for a solution, I tried to see if setting some files offline or online via the right-click context-menu commands in Windows Explorer helps, but it didn't. I have the latest version of the desktop app installed. 

13 Replies 13

Rich
Super User II

@dnemes wrote:

While looking for a solution, I tried to see if setting some files offline or online via the right-click context-menu commands in Windows Explorer helps, but it didn't.

Is the Dropbox application running? Check your system tray for the Dropbox icon and if it's there, check its status by hovering your cursor over it. If it's not running, files won't sync and the context menu options won't appear.

93f5144c4ae44f9f62831b70e66909d1.png

dnemes
Explorer | Level 4

It was of course running, and it is my bad that i didn't explain well enough. 
The context menu didn't help, because I don't have the context menu. At all. 

dnemes
Explorer | Level 4

So I see now that the whole issue is in need of some elaboration. 
My Setup:

I have Dropbox (Basic Plan with 9.6 GB of data) installed on 3 devices.
- A Mac: this is the main install, and I have been using it since 2011. This has all my files, and most folders were originally created here during the years. No issues, works as expected. 

- An iPhone: this also works and all files can be accessed from it, when online. I have a lot of them set to offline access as well. No issues, works as expected.

- The third install was made to my Windows 10 PC, recently. There I have two issues.
1st: To this PC, for some reason, only part of my files are syncing. I have a huge folder (Egyetem), with roughly 5 gigs of data, and 20 or so subfolders. Only 3 of those subfolders sync to my PC. The app still says that all my files are 'Up to date'. I have fiddled with the selective sync preferences, and all folders are set to being stored locally (I have no Online only files, and the default is Local). Nevertheless, the missing folders don't show up. I did an advanced reinstall, and redownloaded all my files from the cloud, but still, my 90% of my (Egyetem) folder don't show up, they are still missing.

2nd.: While I was researching ways to solve the 1st issue, I have happened on the second issue: It seems that the Explorer Extension, that Dropbox is supposed to install, doesn't work on my PC. I have no Dropbox commands in my right-click context menu, and no little file badges in Explorer. 

Any ideas on those fronts?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi from me as well, @dnemes! About the folders that don’t appear locally on your Dropbox app, have you also double checked their names to make sure they don’t contain any of the characters listed here?

As for the issue with the missing context menu options, did you recently update your computer’s OS? If not, I’d like you to take a look at these steps and let me know if they help resolve this.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dnemes
Explorer | Level 4

It seems that most of the affected folder names contain a colon ':'. I'll try renaming, and then see if that resolved it. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check back in any case.
Considering the context menu, I'll try a reinstall and modifying the registry, and let you know how it went. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Great @dnemes!

Keep us posted in any case! 😀

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dnemes
Explorer | Level 4

The registry order seems fine, in the sense that the Dropbox items are among the first 15. 

So that approach won't work, probably. 

dnemes_0-1726742881215.png

dnemes
Explorer | Level 4

The overaly icons are still missing as well. 

dnemes_0-1726744011664.png

dnemes
Explorer | Level 4

The renaming of the folders worked however. It is now syncing the missing folders to my Windows 10 machine.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    dnemes Explorer | Level 4
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?