cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know more about how you can find anything and protect everything? Check it out here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Multiplers Errors with Finder after Dropbox Upgrade - Mac M1

Multiplers Errors with Finder after Dropbox Upgrade - Mac M1

cquintero1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

A few days ago I installed the new dropbox update after being prompted to do so. 

It's been a nightmare since then. After all my folders were moved to some new secure folder on my mac, I get nothing but weird issues with dropbox and finder

• Finder freezes and can't save a file. Need to kill the process in activity monitor
  • Can't open files through Finder. Need to kill the process in activity monitor
  • Dropbox sometimes can be opened but doesn't start. Need to restart 

None of these issues occur if I quit dropbox, but once I start dropbox again, it's nothing but headache. 

I'm on a Mac M1 Venture 13.3.1 and Dropbox v173.3.6706

If this persists one more day I'm uninstalling and cancelling my account. Have been a loyal dropbox user for over a decade but this is not worth the headache. 

13 Replies 13

mike1234
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

You bet.

Jeremy Buff
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
I’m also having this issue, but for me it’s a 2023 Mac Mini with the M2 Pro chip. I have tried numerous things, such as deleting the Finder plist so it would rebuild, booting into recovery and running first aid on the volumes, trying safe mode, and even running fsck. Most concerning of all, I even reinstalled macOS from recovery (without formatting the drive) — which did not solve the issue. There’s clearly something on the user account level that gets messed up or corrupted.

Even relaunching Finder doesn’t work for me. Using Activity Monitor, quitting everything I can find for Dropbox doesn’t work. I have to prevent Dropbox from launching at startup in order to access Finder at all.

However, an interesting wrinkle here. If I launch Dropbox after removing it from the startup items, it takes several minutes to start up. About 10 actually. Once it starts up, and if I did not try and open Finder during that time, I can open Finder about 10% of the time without any problems. The rest if the time it freezes.

Another interesting note. During one of the times where I was able to get Finder open, I attempted to re-order Dropbox in the Finder sidebar. That immediately froze Finder and nothing at all would fix it — not reboots or anything else. I had to fully wipe my Mac.

I think there are two problems at play here. One has to do with launching dropbox, possibly when associated with launching dropbox at start up. The second is something with the sidebar went re-ordering the finder item.

mrozelle
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I was about to make a separate forum post, but I am so glad to have found someone else suffering the same problem. Restores my sanity a bit.

A few days ago I updated Dropbox to version 175.4.5569, and since then it has been running extremely slowly on my 2021 M1 MacBook Pro (running MacOS Ventura 13.4). Before updating, I did not have any problems with the app. Whilst Dropbox isn't displaying any error messages, it says that its status is "syncing...", and it has been like this for days, ever since finishing the migration and re-indexing. When I check "sync history" to see what is being synced, there are no unexpected files, and they all appear to have finished syncing (each file has been "added" already). Perhaps because Dropbox is doing all this mysterious syncing in the background, files that are only available online take an unbearably long time to download (to the point that the computer sometimes gives up trying after a few minutes and just says "[file] could not be opened"). Note also that these are not large files - my computer failed to open a small text file stored online this morning. My download and upload rates are both unlimited, and I'm on very fast wifi. In the last 24 hours, the Finder application is crashing on launch, as described by other users in this thread.

This is a massive problem for me, as I work collaboratively in a shared Dropbox folder with my colleagues. I can't really work without access to those files, and I'm desperately trying to find a fix.

I have tried several solutions suggested for similar problems in other threads, without success:

• Fixing hardlinks
  • Fixing permissions
  • Restarting the computer several times

mike1234
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Quick update in case it's helpful, as I seem to be back up and running. After experiencing an increasing frequency of completely new, strange bugs and issues that came on right after the big upgrade and persisted/worsened even after uninstalling Dropbox (Finder freezing, Microsoft apps freezing when trying to open files elsewhere on my computer, trying to Save As in an existing open file, etc etc.) and waiting all day for next steps from submitted ticket, I decided to try uninstalling and reinstalling again since I've already lost a ton of time due to this debacle.

Attempt #1 failed - Dropbox would not start up ("Couldn't start Dropbox. This may be a temporary error.")

Attempt #2 went further - Dropbox loaded and I logged in, but when given the option at install to quit and move files or relink, I chose quit and move files and after restarting the app, received the same error message as attempt #1 and could never get back in.

Attempt #3 seems to have worked in restoring previous version of Dropbox, and when it encouraged me to upgrade to the latest, I obviously declined. This may be luck or voodoo magic, or a behind the scenes enabling of installing the pre-upgrade version of the desktop app, but here's the sequence I went in (from memory so may not have it perfect... needless to say didn't expect to have success and was ready to give up):

- Uninstalled Dropbox

- Moved entire Dropbox folder out of cloud storage or its existing location to Desktop

- Deleted any remaining Dropbox system files I saw (in Users folder I believe, perhaps Cloud storage)

- Reinstalled Dropbox via https://www.dropbox.com/install

- Relinked account

- When Dropbox loaded and encouraged upgrade, I did not

- Chose cloud only due to insufficient hard drive space, and then went through and synced folders I wanted locally... obviously not ideal to have to resync everything again but mysterious bugs and Finder freezing have not recurred in last few hours of work.

Best of luck to fellow sufferers. This was a doozy and may have taken a year or two off my life.

Need more support?