cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move my Dropbox files off my Mac Mini to External HD

Move my Dropbox files off my Mac Mini to External HD

h8w8
Explorer | Level 3

I'm trying to move my Dropbox files off my M1 Mac Mini to an External HD which I formatted as ExFat. I found Dropbox under my UserName/Library/CloudStorage and have tried to drag and drop into my External drive multiple times with no success, always getting the Error Message of "The Finder can’t complete the operation because some data in “Dropbox” can’t be read or written.
(Error code -36) ". How do I get this done and have Dropbox work from an external hard drive???

Thanks,

jp

[personal information removed per the Community's Guidelines]

1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II

@h8w8 wrote:

I'm trying to move my Dropbox files off my M1 Mac Mini to an External HD ... How do I get this done and have Dropbox work from an external hard drive???

The update for Dropbox for macOS no longer supports storing the Dropbox folder on an external drive. Apple's File Provider API requires that the Dropbox folder be located within your CloudStorage folder.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?