cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Migrating Dropbox files to a new computer

Migrating Dropbox Accounts to New Computer

Jeff F
Explorer | Level 3

Hi.  I have 2 large Dropbox Accounts, Personal and Professional Team, where I am Administrator on Macbook Air 500GB.  I installed the new OS 12.1 Monterey and had my Laptop with Dropbox's backed up (Many Folders with SMART SYNC Online Only to save Hard Disc space, Many Folders Stored Local on my Hard Drive.  When looking for an easy way to Reinstall Dropbox and RE-LINK my Dropbox Folders, it is impossible to find a simple straightforward way to do this on Dropbox Site or On-Line. So...  I found a YouTube Video that seemed to make sense with these directions:

METHOD:

1. Rename your existing dropbox to anything else Ex Dropbox-old
Step 2. Download Dropbox software and let it create dropbox folder.
As soon as dropbox created folder. Step 3 Pause sync in software
application and drag all files from Dropbox-old to new Dropbox folder.
Step 4 Take off pause and dropbox will do the rest.

I did this Method - and now Dropbox is Syncing 132,302 Files  2.1TB (2+Days), and most of the FOLDERS are GREY (many of these Folders were Music FLAC Files that originally had SMART Sync on to save Hard Disc Space, but the SMART SYNC that was set is not being recognized. 

It seems that Dropbox is now trying to RE-SYNC everything - instead of just RE-Catalog all the existing Folders.  This is what I was trying to AVOID. Also - I RE-SET back to SMART SYNC on a small amount of my Music Folders to ON LINE Only - (to make sure I don't fill up my Hard Drive).  When I click on the Circle Arrow next to a GREY FOLDER (That was Smart Sync On-Line Only) I get this message "Copying "NAME OF MUSIC FOLDER" has PAUSED" You can keep a resumable copy now or finish later."  When I click on Finish Copying I get a message "THESE FILES ARE online-only. To Open Them, first move it into your Dropbox."  Then an Error Code 36 pops up Finder can't read the files.

Does anyone know of a simple method to do this Migration process that every Dropbox Account Holder will eventually have to go through when upgrading a computer?  I read about a method where you have to go into TERMINAL and type in specific Lines of Text - but this method seems pretty complicated for a Non Tech person with 2 Dropbox Accounts.   Thanks for your Help!!!  Jeff

10 Replies 10

joe-w-1954
New member | Level 2

Thanks Rich! Hopefully I will not find a way to screw this up.

Need more support?