cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with Dropbox File Provider on the Mac

Issues with Dropbox File Provider on the Mac

palebluedot1
New member | Level 2

I am writing this both on behalf of myself (personal pro account), but also a company I am director (business account). But moreover,  as member of a large ongoing discussion with a number of other professionals who, like myself work in the music industry who are experiencing huge issues with the new file provider version of dropbox. Many of whom are already leaving dropbox

I appreciate that it is Apple that have enforced the new API. However, the new version is not fit for purpose for the following reasons:

1> Not being able to keep dropbox on an external drive is an essential for people like myself who have large projects that they need to share with other collaborators, but need ready access to. It is simply not realistic or possible to try and have all this data on the main SSD. In my case I have a Mac mini with 256GB SSD as a server for my assistants and I, connected to a much larger drive array.

2>uploads/downlaods are broken with the new fileprovider. I've been waiting 2 days for files to upload that should have taken 2 hours. Files randomly appear suddenly switch to online only, some files never upload and some never download. The basic function of dropbox is not working

3>Dropbox is deleting files randomly. This is the most worying of all. A number of files have either been deleted (and I've had to recover from deleted files and time machine) OR in the case of logic projects, the .logicx files are dissapearing randomly

My main computer is a Mac Studio M2, running Ventura but we are also experiencing the same issues on M1 Mac Studios on monteray and Mac mini M1 on monteray

Can dropbox tell us that there is a pathway in place to resolve this, or should we just cancel our subscriptions now

23 Replies 23

GregorBeyerle
Helpful | Level 6

This is absolutely outrageous!! You need to roll back these changes. 

themixnerd
Explorer | Level 3

Not entirely true.  I'm on 14.3.1 and I can sync logic files without issue.  

grahamarcher
Explorer | Level 3

Hi @Megan, is there any movement on this issue at all? Is there anything in the roadmap to suggest it's going to get sorted?

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Graham

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @grahamarcher, currently, there are no changes to the support for Logic Pro X files when using File Provider.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Tripwires
Explorer | Level 3
Since the announcement Logic Pro files won’t be supported anymore on the new update I’m TERRIFIED I will loose these files / the ability to open and use them.

Can anyone shed any more light?

Logic Pro files is the only reason I have Dropbox! I have nearly an entire album of work backed up to Dropbox!

Thanks so much

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Tripwires, thanks for reaching out to us and for your feedback on this.

Indeed, syncing Logic Pro library files on cloud-storage services (including Dropbox) is no longer supported on macOS 12.5 or later.

Your files of course won't be lost, but you might need to consult with Apple for more info on how to continue using them.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Tripwires
Explorer | Level 3
I’m really not impressed that there wasn’t an email at least from DropBox about this.

Will the files work if I first compress them then copy and paste them into the DropBox folder? So the ‘live’ files are kept elsewhere, and I make compressed copies in the DropBox folder as a backup? Will this work?

If not I will have to cancel my DropBox subscription.

Thanks for your help.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Tripwires, as this is related to the Logic Pro app, we wouldn't be able to comment on how that app works. We'll leave this post open for other users to contribute their findings.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Benjamin Gordon
Helpful | Level 5

I can see that Dropbox has listed that logic pro files can no longer be synced which puts my entire workflow into disarray.

Is this literally what it says on the tin?

Do I have to move ALL of my logic pro files / sessions out of dropbox and store them locally?

If so is there a way of going back to how dropbox was before I updated?

Thanks!

Benjamin Gordon
Helpful | Level 5

I am SHOCKED that you can no longer sync logic pro files.

I use dropbox, not iCloud Drive specifically because it doesnt delete my files.

iCloud Drive is beyond useless and have seen that I'm not the only one who has lost so many files randomly over the years. I've lost music ive made so many times that it upsets me beyond belief.

Is Dropbox now basically iCloud Drive with this new macOS file provider business and can dropbox guarantee that we wont lose any files?

I havent had ANY issues with lost files since using Dropbox and I'm now TERRIFIED that this is going to happen, as i can see other people are saying.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

wareynolds96 Helpful | Level 5
    Benjamin Gordon Helpful | Level 5
    Tripwires Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?