cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If newer versions of Dropbox basic become unavailable for commercial use

If newer versions of Dropbox basic become unavailable for commercial use

Solarr
Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox is set to automatically update itself to newer versions without user permission in Windows by default.

Q.1) So, if in future due to change in license policy the dropbox basic (free plan) "newer versions" become unavailable for commercial use then it would apply for users after the change in license policy, am I right?

An example of such a case is the app: FreeFileSync. It was written in the question "Is FreeFileSync free for commercial use?" on the FreeFileSync's FAQ webpage (which is a 'source') that FreeFileSync Standard Edition is free for commercial use but after change in license policy the answer to the question got UPDATED and FreeFileSync Standard Edition is now not free for commercial use: [removed]

But the license changes (commercial use not allowed) apply to FreeFileSync version 13 and later. Versions below 13 are still free for commercial use: [removed]

Q.2) Legally, just like the above example if a user is downloading and installing Dropbox at a point in time when there is a source (webpage, official forum, terms of service or any other source) stating that commercial use is allowed then that claim will remain for the entire lifetime for that user as only the newest version is available for Dropbox, isn't it?

At this point in time I can find the following sources (there maybe others) stating that commercial use is allowed for dropbox basic:-

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Apps-and-Installations/Use-of-dropbox-basic-free-plan-in-a-commercia...

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Plans-and-Subscriptions/Is-Dropbox-free-for-commercial-use/m-p/63965...

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Plans-and-Subscriptions/Can-the-free-account-be-used-for-business/td...

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Plans-and-Subscriptions/Can-I-use-Dropbox-free-for-commercial-use/td...

Q.3) Also, will the above sources which are a proof that dropbox basic is free for commercial use be UPDATED to being not free for commercial use for users after the change in license policy (if there is any change in license policy)?

Thank you.

5 Replies 5

Mark
Super User II

I have no idea what Dropbox plans etc. are, however, the terms and conditions can be updated at any point as per the modification clause at https://www.dropbox.com/terms

I doubt they'd update the software to stop it working (they've not done that previously) they would just close accounts OR more likely stop syncing. For example when an OS is no longer supported the files dont get removed etc. the accounts just no longer sync.

In regards to updating threads, no, that would almost certainly not happen. Thats not happened previously when T&C changes have occurred. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Solarr
Explorer | Level 3

I think you have mistakenly understood the example I have given of FreeFileSync to be a cloud sync app just like Dropbox. FreeFileSync is a local folder comparison and synchronization software. Hence it is not a competition to dropbox. So, you can (if acceptable to you) reinsert the removed links so that the readers can better understand this topic. I'll paste the two links again over here if needed.

Firstly, the terms of service is not the only source for finding information/claims/terms/answers from a service provider. If that was the case then there wouldn't be need of main website, FAQ webpage, forums, contact support etc. I'll give one more example: AeroAdmin main website explicitly mentions that it is available for business use but the EULA webpage does not mention anything about business/commercial use.

If in future, the terms of service (or any another source) states that commercial use is not allowed and at the same time the above 4 threads exist which state that commercial use is allowed then this will create a contradiction. This is exactly why I gave the example of FreeFileSync where the source: FAQ webpage got updated.

I'll try to explain the second question again (Extremely sorry for being lengthy):-
In case of FreeFileSync (Standard Edition), a source: FAQ webpage CLAIMED (in the past) that commercial use is allowed and I am assuming at that point in time there were FreeFileSync versions below 13. Hence users using FreeFileSync version below 13 are bound to that CLAIM/TERMS in the past. After the change in license policy, when (again I am assuming) FreeFileSync 13 and newer versions became available, the FAQ webpage now CLAIMS that commercial use is not allowed. Hence users using FreeFileSync version 13 and above are bound to the new CLAIM/TERMS. Zenju (Site Admin of FreeFileSync forum) has written "Not sure if retroactively changing terms would be even possible, legally. Anyway the license changes apply to version 13 and later."

In the case of Dropbox basic, the source: the 4 threads posted above CLAIM (in the present) that commercial use is allowed. Hence users using Dropbox currently are bound by the present CLAIM/TERMS. If in future due to change in license policy a source CLAIMS that commercial use is not allowed then users using Dropbox after the change in license policy would be bound by the new CLAIM/TERMS. The CLAIM/TERMS would be bound to a particular version of Dropbox but as only the newest version of Dropbox exists, both present CLAIM and the new CLAIM (if there is change in license policy) will be bound to the newest version of Dropbox. Is this right?

Thank you.

Rich
Super User II

@Solarr wrote:

If in future, the terms of service (or any another source) states that commercial use is not allowed and at the same time the above 4 threads exist which state that commercial use is allowed then this will create a contradiction.

You're really overcomplicating this. It doesn't matter if there's an old forum post that says something is free when it no longer is years later. It simply means that at the time of posting, that information was most likely correct.

The simple fact is that Dropbox can update their terms of service at any time, and if you choose to continue using their service you are bound by the updated terms. It's not tied to a specific version of the software. You either continue to use the service and in doing so accept the terms, or you do not accept the new terms and choose to discontinue use of the service.

Mark
Super User II

@Solarr wrote:

In the case of Dropbox basic, the source: the 4 threads posted above CLAIM (in the present) that commercial use is allowed. Hence users using Dropbox currently are bound by the present CLAIM/TERMS. If in future due to change in license policy a source CLAIMS that commercial use is not allowed then users using Dropbox after the change in license policy would be bound by the new CLAIM/TERMS. The CLAIM/TERMS would be bound to a particular version of Dropbox but as only the newest version of Dropbox exists, both present CLAIM and the new CLAIM (if there is change in license policy) will be bound to the newest version of Dropbox. Is this right?

Thank you.

The version of Dropbox is irrelevant - as it updates automatically about every 2 weeks. The issue would be, as @Rich said bound by the terms in place at the time. Of which, if they changed, you'd be notified and told about at least 30 days in advance. 

It has NOTHING AT ALL to do with which version of Dropbox you have downloaded.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Solarr
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you Rich and Mark for your replies.

I am planning to use Dropbox basic for a long term basis where I would be providing training material (and updating it from time to time) to my clients. I would be recommending my clients to also install Dropbox basic so that the training material can be synchronized by sharing a folder. I may upgrade Dropbox to a paid plan if required. As, I am planning to use Dropbox for a long term basis I have created this topic to understand what would happen if there is any change in license policy/terms of service.

A forum post is subject to being outdated (as stated by Rich). In the same way, answers via email support and phone support are also subject to being outdated. But the sources: Terms of Service, Main website, FAQ webpage, Pricing webpage, Other webpages - all of them will ALWAYS represent the PRESENT CLAIMS (or features available/restrictions etc). Hence it is up to the service provider to keep the above sources updated (just like in the example I gave of FreeFileSync where the source FAQ webpage was updated). So as an example, at one point in time: a service provider cannot claim something in Terms of Service and claim the opposite on the Main website. I think one would at least agree with this.

(I would like to point out an error. In the link sitemap https://experience.dropbox.com/sitemap under the section "About us" both the links 'Privacy' and 'Terms' lead to the same page - Privacy policy webpage)

Thank you.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Solarr Explorer | Level 3
    Mark Super User II
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?