cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We just wanted to say thank you! Check out our customer appreciation video here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I got an alert that Dropbox wants to modify something in my MacOS

I got an alert that Dropbox wants to modify something in my MacOS

rofi
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

When logging into my Mac, I got an alert that an attempt by "Dropbox, Inc" to modify something in my system, was blocked, and that I should open the "Security&Privacy" in my System Preferences to enable it.

Indeed, I found there a message 'System software from developer 'Dropbox, Inc.' was blocked from loading.

I can't find any hint that this is really coming from Dropbox, or what modification would actually be performed, if I would allow this, and therefore keep it blocked.

How can I find out, whether this was not a fishing attempt, but legally came from Dropbox? I also would like to find out, what this changes would actually do.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

billgdbx
Dropbox Engineer
Go to solution

The request for permission is actually macOS asking you whether you want to grant the permission that Dropbox is requesting.  Pretty sure it is a one-time popup and after that, you won't get it again, whether or not you grant permission.  If you don't grant permission, the DoD capability just won't be there, but you should not have any other ill effect.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there, @rofi, thanks for reaching out to the Dropbox Community.

Can you please send us a screenshot of this message, so we can take a closer look?

If you click on the Dropbox icon in your menu bar, do you see any related notifications?

Let me know.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

billgdbx
Dropbox Engineer
Go to solution

One thing we've seen that may be happening:  if you are on our free plan, and a version of macOS prior to 12.5 (i.e. non-File Provider), we recently rolled out Downlod-on-Demand capability to you.  DoD relies on a macOS kernel extension, and macOS definitely asks for your permission before enabling it.

(Note: Dropbox for macOS 12.5 and later does not use a kernel extension;  it uses the new macOS File Provider services instead)

rofi
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Note that clicking on the Dropbox Icon (as Hannah suggested) does not show any related message. I can't also take a screenshot (because the message does not pop up again).  It is also not shown on the System Preferences  / Security anymore (I rebooted in the meantime).

As for the comment by billgdbx:  I'm running macOS 10.15.7, and I am on a free plan. So this would fit exactly the criteria you mentioned. However, I would assume then that this message for granting the permission, would pop up every time I'm restarting my Mac. Since I don't see it again, I suspect that this is not the case.

Should I simply leave it as it is now? What is this "Download on Demand" capability you mention? Maybe I don't really need it....

billgdbx
Dropbox Engineer
Go to solution

I believe the kext (kernel extension) permission is probably granted once, and then macOS will subsequently load the kext without issue.

What is Download on Demand?

Download on Demand is our name for online-only files.  With the Dropbox you are used to, all your files live on your computer, and are also syned over to other computers, where they exist, in totality, available whether you are connected to the Internet or not.  This is great, except for the case where you have more files than comfortably fit on your local hard drive.  For situations like this, we offer Download On Demand.  With this capability, your file exists in the Dropbox Cloud, fully protected and all, but what is on your local hard drive is a placeholder, essentially a pointer to the online file, which occupies ~zero bytes on your local drive.  When you double-click the file or open it in an app, it is transparently rehydrated, or recalled, from the Dropbox cloud.  When you're done with an online-only file, it may be dehydrated again and just be a placeholder.  This can be advantageous for files you don't expect to access very often, especially if they are large.

How do I use it?

From the right click menu on a file or folder, you can designate files or folders as either Online-Only or Available Offline (the old mode where files are always kept on your disk).

To Learn More

For more information on this capability, you might check out the following Help Center articles:

https://help.dropbox.com/sync/make-files-online-only

- https://help.dropbox.com/sync/macos-sync-icons

https://help.dropbox.com/sync/sync-icons

Hope this helps!

rofi
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Who would grant the permission? As I wrote, I did *not* allow it. Too risky IMO, especially since the Dropbox app in the menu does not identify the attempt as valid. 

If this *really* came from Dropbox, it could be that Dropbox only asks once for the permission, and then doesn't nag me again and just doesn't do whatever it wanted to do with it. In this case, I simple don't have Download-on-Demand, and from your description of the feature, I don't think I even want it.

Thanks a lot for the explanation! 

billgdbx
Dropbox Engineer
Go to solution

The request for permission is actually macOS asking you whether you want to grant the permission that Dropbox is requesting.  Pretty sure it is a one-time popup and after that, you won't get it again, whether or not you grant permission.  If you don't grant permission, the DoD capability just won't be there, but you should not have any other ill effect.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

billgdbx Dropbox Engineer
    rofi Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?