cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't select my existing Dropbox folder upon signing into the v209.3.3519 Dropbox app.

I can't select my existing Dropbox folder upon signing into the v209.3.3519 Dropbox app.

dma_k
Helpful | Level 5

Dear all,

During installation I would like Dropbox to re-use the copy of dropbox folder which I have locally, but when I try to point dropbox installator to that location (D:\Dropbox in my case), installator suggests to rename the existing folder. I would like to merge that folder with one in the cloud.

Any suggestions why that function does not work anymore?

dma_k_3-1727180151690.png

dma_k_1-1727180046104.png

8 Replies 8

Rich
Super User II

@dma_k wrote:

... when I try to point dropbox installator to that location (D:\Dropbox in my case), installator suggests to rename the existing folder.

Back out of the installation. Rename the existing Dropbox folder to Dropbox_OLD or similar then install Dropbox and select the location that you want to use for the Dropbox folder. As soon as the installation is done, exit the Dropbox application. COPY your files from Dropbox_OLD to Dropbox, then restart the application.

Dropbox will re-index your files at this point. Be patient and LET IT WORK. Once it's done and you're sure your files are up-to-date, you can delete the Dropbox_OLD folder.

dma_k
Helpful | Level 5

Horrible ðŸ˜± First of all I cannot not do it easily, as some files from Dropbox folder are used/locked (hence cannot rename folder to _OLD).

Second, I would need to wait until Dropbox synchronizes tons of gigabytes of data just to overwrite them with another tons of gigabytes. No way 😪 as I need to free disk space for that.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

@dma_k, can you just select your D drive as the destination path in your Advanced settings instead of D:\Dropbox? Do you still get the same error after that?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dma_k
Helpful | Level 5

If you remember, installator only allows you to choose the "parent" folder, which is D:\ in my case, and it adds Dropbox to it automatically. So you cannot customize the name of Dropbox folder – it is a fixed name.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @dma_k, when you click the Dropbox folder location, you can choose the parent folder of the already established Dropbox folder. For example, if you have your Dropbox folder in the path "D:\OtherDrive\Folder\Team Name Dropbox", you'll want to select the folder "D:\OtherDrive\Folder".

Did you you choose D:\Dropbox or simply your 😧 path? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dma_k
Helpful | Level 5

I have selected "D:\", and installer appended "Dropbox" automatically. I cannot change it.

There is "D:\Dropbox\.dropbox.cache\", "D:\Dropbox\.dropbox" (and other special files) inside that folder, created by Dropbox earlier. To make a story complete: I have uninstalled Dropbox and installed it again and now stalled because merge function does not work, but I remember it working before (this is not the first time I do that).

Walter
Dropbox Staff

When you say it's not stalled, could you elaborate a tad @dma_k ?

Also, I noticed that you're using the beta version of the app. Can you try the latest, stable one from this page and let us know how it goes?

Note that you'll need to toggle off the "early access" option from your account's settings first. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

dma_k
Helpful | Level 5

I had "Early access" set to off:

dma_k_0-1727261072003.png

Version is taken from this dialog:

dma_k_2-1727261154681.png

At the moment I cannot complete Dropbox installation simply because I don't have enough free disk space.

Let me know if "Merge" function works OK for you.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

dma_k Helpful | Level 5
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?