cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't remove Dropbox from Windows 10 explorer on old PC

I can't remove Dropbox from Windows 10 explorer on old PC

KoefDrop
New member | Level 2

I am cleaning up my old Windows 10 laptop, in order to hand it over to the new owner. 

Obviously I don't want the new owner to be able to access my drop box, so I need to remove it. However, whatever I try, it keeps showing up in Windows file explorer. 

I already tried the solutions proposed in this thread: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Apps-and-Installations/Can-t-remove-dropbox-folder-icon-from-Win-Fil...

It didn't work, even after reboot the Dropbox folder still appears in file explorer. How do I get rid of it??

Note  1st thing I tried was Add or Remove programs, and look for Dropbox. It is not in the list of programs.

1 Reply 1

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for reaching out to the Dropbox Community, @KoefDrop.

If you need to remove Dropbox from a computer, you'll first need to unlink it from your account.

To do that, you'll either needs to sign out of the Dropbox desktop app, or delete the computer from your "devices" list here.

Once that's done, you should be able to uninstall the app and just delete the Dropbox folder from the computer; does it allow you to do so?

Try restarting the computer, to see if that helps as well.

Let me know how it goes.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?