cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Dropbox back in my Finder Favorites after upgrading my Mac software

Getting Dropbox back in my Finder Favorites after upgrading my Mac software

Brenda S.11
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

There was a Dropbox icon in my Finder Favorites that I could simply drag my files to. I upgraded my Mac software to the latest version. My Dropbox is gone from Finder Favorites and now I am not sure how to get my files into Dropbox. I just want to get Dropbox back into my Finder Favorites

18 Replies 18

Robert S.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Hey Robert...would you like to see my movie of it NOT working??

Sure.

Remember, nobody here can see over your shoulder to know what you're doing.

Lissa F.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I found the explanation here very helpful and resolved my issue in seconds. Thanks so much.

Alice H.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Helpful information and resolved my issue....key is to find the DB folder not the application icon. Thanks!!!

Sylvia L.2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Very helpful and, I thought, very clear.  Thanks so much!

For those who have "lost" their dropbox folder, just use the spotlight search (i.e. the magnifying glass icon at the right hand side of the bar at the top of your screen) to search "dropbox" and your dropbox folder will show up in the finder.  You can drag and drop it from there.

Donna I.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

The solution worked for me. I upgraded to El Capitan a few days ago. I just fixed it using Robert's solution. First, the problem may be you are not noticing that the Dropbox icon is now at the top of the finder window to the left of the search bar after the upgrade. I personally didn't want it there. So I did a search for "Dropbox", my Dropbox folder came up and I dragged it onto the sidebar. To be sure, I closed Finder and it was still there.

Naomi D.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I've read the thread carefully, viewed Robert S.'s youtube video but still need help:  I have two dropbox accounts.  One shows up in the left hand finder window.  The other used to but doesn't any longer.  How do I download that account so it shows up on my computer and can therefore be dragged over to the left hand finder menu?  Right now it doesn't show up on my computer, although if I open a file through say MS Word, and do SAVE AS, I can see the account and save docs to it.  Thanks in advance.  

Naomi D.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I've read the thread carefully, viewed Robert S.'s youtube video but still need help:  I have two dropbox accounts.  One shows up in the left hand finder window.  The other used to but doesn't any longer.  How do I download that account so it shows up on my computer and can therefore be dragged over to the left hand finder menu?  Right now it doesn't show up on my computer, although if I open a file through say MS Word, and do SAVE AS, I can see the account and save docs to it.  Thanks in advance.  

Naomi D.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Dear all, I kept digging and found this response from Maria Elena P. in a different thread.  The issue was that I didn't have all the options checked off on Finder>Preferences>Sidebar.  Once I checked them all, I was able to see the second dropbox account and drag and drop it per Robert S. instructions.  Thanks all.

THIS IS THE SOLUTION

Go to Finder, Preferences, Sidebar. Make a checkmark in your username like ´myname´. 

GO BACK to your Finder the folder ´myname` will show, click on it. The DROPBOX folder will appear right there.

After that you have to click and hold that folder and move it to the side bar (Between folders) and you will have the Dropbox folder back again in the Sidebar.

Good luck

RayBrown99
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've just done what was demonstrated in the video. Worked fine. Thanks for the help.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Naomi D.1 New member | Level 1
    Donna I. New member | Level 1
    Sylvia L.2 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?