cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of support for OS X 10.4 and 10.5

End of support for OS X 10.4 and 10.5

Matthew S.
New member | Level 1

Why pull support and remove functionality? Why not just drop support -- just stop updating the app but still allow basic functionality? There are still a lot of legacy machines that are still in use and CANNOT upgrade to 10.6, as they are PowerPC based. Yes, old systems still work. Why stop the app from working totally instead of just deprecating support for those systems?

281 Replies 281

David S.28
New member | Level 2

I was using Dropbox instead of OneDrive and GoogleDrive just because I could sync with my son's PowerMac G5... and this computer can't go beyond 10.5.8 (leopard). Please, reconsider your decision.

dale m.
New member | Level 1

Thoroughly agree - DB is very unique in its support across PPC and Intel machines. The notice about the change is a little dishonest in suggesting upgrading to 10.6 as anyone using 10.5.8 is on older architecture that can't run that system and certainly the DB team knows this.

I routinely move files across and among PPC and Intel macs -- please "cut us loose" without further support if you must, but PLEASE don't cut us OFF. What's the advantage in that?

Thomas B.8
New member | Level 1

Another Dropbox patron requesting not to drop drop 10.5 support. Is it possible to just leave it as is without any new updates. As long as it can still share files, we don't need any fancy bells and whistles. Thanks so much for your consideration.

Barbara A.2
New member | Level 2

Agree. We are using two 10.4 machines at home, and the web app does not provide the same functionality. If this goes forward, I will most likely cancel my Pro account.

It was great to have a reliable program that didn't force people to upgrade, which for many people is not a simple proposal, involving software and hardware that simply does not exist for newer operating systems.

Patrick C.2
New member | Level 1

don't drop access for older machines that are not upgradeable to a newer OS. The current functionality is great and very useful for my older machines.

Michael S.11
New member | Level 1

Please don't shut down Dropbox for Macs running OS 10.4 and 10.5. Although I have three Macs running Yosemite, my PPC running 10.5.8 is crucial to my workflow. I use the PPC Mac alongside a current laptop, and Dropbox makes this easy. Apps that I use on my PPC are just not available for the current Mac operating system. Losing Dropbox on my PPC Mac will make Dropbox less important, by more than 25%. Thanks for a great program; please don't kill it on the PPC.

Peter G.8
New member | Level 1

I use Dropbox every day on my non-upgradeable PowerBook G4. I, too, was upset to receive "the email" yesterday. I'd be fine—actually, I'd be thrilled—if I could continue to use the Dropbox client even if it'd be without support or future upgrades.

gaye m.
New member | Level 1

I have a PowerPC G5 running Mac Os X Version 10.4.11. Can't upgrade above that and cant afford to invest in a new machine (which would mean having to invest in upgrading lots of software and printers, scanners, etc, etc). I use Dropbox every day for work and depend on it to give my clients access to files and for backup storage. I would urge Dropbox to reconsider.

Tim W.2
New member | Level 1

Please do not cut functionality for OS X 10.4 and 10.5 -- I use dropbox primarily because it makes my workflow seamless between my work Windows PC, my Android phone, and my home Powerbook G4. PowerPC macs, which cannot upgrade beyond 10.5, were built with quality and longevity; making them useful computers for years to come! I know that a company like Dropbox must cater to tens of millions of users; but please don't leave out the thousands of users who continue to enjoy and rely on their PowerPC macs.

Tomislav B.
New member | Level 1

Please don't turn it off. Still using old ibook G4.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Steve B.8 New member | Level 1
    Cinefoto.org R. New member | Level 1
    Erik Y. New member | Level 1
    Vanni R. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?