cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of support for OS X 10.4 and 10.5

End of support for OS X 10.4 and 10.5

Matthew S.
New member | Level 1

Why pull support and remove functionality? Why not just drop support -- just stop updating the app but still allow basic functionality? There are still a lot of legacy machines that are still in use and CANNOT upgrade to 10.6, as they are PowerPC based. Yes, old systems still work. Why stop the app from working totally instead of just deprecating support for those systems?

281 Replies 281

Alec W.
New member | Level 1

Totally agree with all of the above! Can't even access through the web now and I am completely stuck!! Can't afford upgrades - and tbh don't need them - but everything has now come to a halt as no DB! I beg you - please reconsider! We don't need upgrades - keep it the same! Hopefully the pressure from your supporters might change your decision. 

Steve C.75
New member | Level 1

Please keep the support for Dropbox on the PPC.

Red M.
New member | Level 1

SugarSync works great on PowerPc Tiger and Leopard ...

Robert S.
Super User alumni

SugarSync works great on PowerPc Tiger and Leopard ...

Really? Not according to SugarSync.

https://support.sugarsync.com/hc/en-us/articles/204737414-Minimum-System-Requirements-for-using-the-...

In point of fact, they dropped PowerPC support at around the same time Dropbox did.

Probably for much the same technical reasons.

Red M.
New member | Level 1

they dropped PowerPC support ... but the old version of sugarsync still work!

Dexter P.
New member | Level 1

My desktop is intel, but for reasons I won't bore you with, Im still running Leopard on it. DropBox was a vital link between that and my laptop, mobile, etc. Please reconsider chopping us off - it creates great hardship!!

I take it back: not great hardship, just a pain in the butt - and bad feelings. Ill get over it. 

Robert S.
Super User alumni

Sorry Dexter, support for your obsolete OS isn't going to come back.

If your hardware is capable of running a modern OS, then the answer is in your hands.

Dexter P.
New member | Level 1

Too bad, since drop box's main function for me was keeping my newer and older computer synched.

"Drop Box became way more popular than we ever expected" Gee, I wonder how much the PPC community had to do with that?

Well, good luck staying popular! I recruited a lot of people to DB. Gee, I guess they'll be sad since  word started to spread about their loyalty to the customers who made then such a success!

Red M.
New member | Level 1

Here is the older version of SugarSync for Tiger and Leopard

Edit: link to unauthorised download removed by forum moderator

Dexter P.
New member | Level 1

Thanks Robert S. The other option is to drop the box. Doing business is about relationships and we make decisions every day about which relationships we nurture. If drop box can afford to throw us out, bully for them.

There are a lot of people, especially in the music community (which our culture doesnt value enough to pay a living wage) who are doing productive work on "obsolete" software. A resourceful bunch, fortunately. Same for educators.  Im really not too stressed about it. I use a lot of things considered obsolete, by the elite. Life is good, with or without dropbox. It, too, will be obsolete one day.

The word obsolete has changed meaning in the last few years, as things speed up to a ridiculous rate. I bought the i Mac to take advantage of SnowLeopard, but ancient recording gear slowed the transition. Its all about money, on both sides of the fence. I prefer to live without fences. Or money, for that matter!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Steve B.8 New member | Level 1
    Cinefoto.org R. New member | Level 1
    Erik Y. New member | Level 1
    Vanni R. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?