cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of support for OS X 10.4 and 10.5

End of support for OS X 10.4 and 10.5

Matthew S.
New member | Level 1

Why pull support and remove functionality? Why not just drop support -- just stop updating the app but still allow basic functionality? There are still a lot of legacy machines that are still in use and CANNOT upgrade to 10.6, as they are PowerPC based. Yes, old systems still work. Why stop the app from working totally instead of just deprecating support for those systems?

281 Replies 281

Jerzy G.
New member | Level 1

Michael O.4
New member | Level 1

@Jerzy G.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to do the download, unless (it would appear) I pay them $12. Am I missing something?

Michael O.4
New member | Level 1

@Jerzy G.
Re Unison ... This is a Chinese puzzle. I downloaded 2.27.57, which looks to be the latest for PPC. Looks like you need to enter exact first and second root paths, and I haven't been able to dope out how to set these. (No file picker certainly doesn't help.)

Jerzy G.
New member | Level 1

@Michael O, in DepositFiles just click Regular Download and wait a couple of seconds. It's free.
The latest version of Unison is 2.40.61: <removed>
For a full path, right click on a folder, show info and look for the Where: field.

Edit: Unauthorised download link removed by forum moderator.

Michael O.4
New member | Level 1

Ok, I thought I tried that several times but I'll give it another go.

Michael O.4
New member | Level 1

@Jerzy G. Well, I tried and tried. Above my pay grade. Thanks, anyway.

Laura B.1
New member | Level 1

I am now placed in the position of having to remove approximately 50% of my files (maybe more) even though I still use dropbox with my home computer. All of my work related files are dependent upon my 10.5 computer (provided by my school district) which cannot use the newer OS version you seem to need.

I feel particularly gyped because I paid for professional level this year just so I could keep all those files easily available both at work and at home.

If I am unable to complete my work by the end of the month, our program stands to lose funding for students whose files I cannot access from work, and I can't do all my work from home. Perhaps there was "warning" but I certainly never noticed it in the sea of emails that flow past each day. I am feeling even less charitable to Apple for not being backwards compatible than I am to Dropbox, but it's a close run.... Just flippin' let us do the work we need to do, and stop "improving" everything for a year or ten. Or at least let us keep using what we've been using, without poking us in the eyeball and saying, "NO! YOU NEED TO HAVE A BETTER WAY!" even though we're doing just fine without it.

Richard Schletty
Collaborator | Level 8

If older vehicles were not allowed to travel the streets and highways, there would be a huge outcry. Dropbox, you must have at least one clever programmer who can figure out how to keep PPC Macs flowing on the Dropbox "information highway." Step forward. Be brave. Bust into the boardroom and declare your intelligence to knucklehead management. PowerPC Macs running 10.4 and 10.5 are very capable machines. They are not obsolete. My two G5 towers keep on working.

David T.75
New member | Level 1

My son just got home from college. I purchased a File Transporter for him so he can have his own private cloud and now will convert my paid Dropbox account to a regular free account.

frederic n.
New member | Level 1

10.5 mac system is no longer supported.
In revange the windows Xp system still is. This system is older than the 10.5x mac! Why?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Steve B.8 New member | Level 1
    Cinefoto.org R. New member | Level 1
    Erik Y. New member | Level 1
    Vanni R. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?