cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Pulling support for Mac OS 10.4 & 10.5

End of support for OS X 10.4 and 10.5

Matthew S.
New member | Level 1

Why pull support and remove functionality? Why not just drop support -- just stop updating the app but still allow basic functionality? There are still a lot of legacy machines that are still in use and CANNOT upgrade to 10.6, as they are PowerPC based. Yes, old systems still work. Why stop the app from working totally instead of just deprecating support for those systems?

281 Replies 281

asas z.
New member | Level 1

I guess dropbox doesn't value or want my business anymore. Fair enough.

Graphic Images
New member | Level 2

Chiming In... We have all seen "support" for applications dropped from Mac OS X as the versions go up while WindowsXP machines get continued support (Adobe Flash Player was one.)

I also would like to see Dropbox continue to support my G5 10.5.8 machine. Please flip the switch back.

Michal M.
New member | Level 1

I held out with hope til last Monday that something would be worked out and I could continue to use Dropbox along with my colleagues. Sure enough though, my PowerPC work computer, quite functional with 10.5.8 now no longer has access to Dropbox.

The next day, the young PC that I was to have used, with great reluctance and disdain, as a backup, died.
Will Dropbox eliminate 10.6 and perhaps younger next? I value my macs that work for years and give a finger to planned obsolescence and shoddy production . . . but now will companies like Dropbox make a mockery of quality and make the disposable computer necessary?

David D.11
New member | Level 1

No reason for conspiracy theories, invocation of planned obsolescence or back-room corporate machinations. This is much simpler. Inability. Current coders are just not capable of going back and fixing legacy code, and even if they wanted to, they would not be paid enough to do it. We are seeing just one more example of the inability of the IT industry to build a good product, and the desire of most consumers to want the shiny new toy, regardless of quality or need. Sic transit gloria mundi.

Nathan H.1
New member | Level 1

Hey fellow PPC users,
Enterprising folks in the PPC community have found a way to continue using Dropbox.
One option - using a still supported Mac (Snow Leopard or above), share your Dropbox folder over your local network so other Macs can access it.
Another option - if you search around, you may discover another temporary method to keep your PowerPC machine logged into Dropbox and syncing. I won't direct link it, and it likely will only be a stopgap until another method is developed. Use Google.

Eileen N.
New member | Level 1

Dropbox website does not load properly on my PowerPC with OS 10.4.1 so you have left me dead in the water as far as using this legacy computor to access my dropbox account. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a dropbox account.....

Erik Y.
New member | Level 1

Some of us PowerPC users are still enjoying the full use of the desktop app.

How to do it is out there. Use Google.

claudio s.6
New member | Level 1

This is really ridiculous. Would be like if at gas station someone decide my car is too old for its gasoline.

g p.5
New member | Level 1

@Robert. I have a Mac Mini with 10.5.8. Bought it together with a PC back in 2008. The latter is still working fine with all the old programs and drivers needed to control other hardware (plotter etc). Apple however.. just simply bluntly say to your face: 'move on'? I work with Apple, have purchased 4 or 5 laptops, have iPhones, iPads, Cinema displays, etc.. but the way they treat loyal customer is arrogant. Although I am depending on their hardware professionally... I won't shed a tear when one day they collapse.

Erik Y.
New member | Level 1

Come on people. Really! There is a solution.

Just find it on Google.

Need more support?