cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Pulling support for Mac OS 10.4 & 10.5

End of support for OS X 10.4 and 10.5

Matthew S.
New member | Level 1

Why pull support and remove functionality? Why not just drop support -- just stop updating the app but still allow basic functionality? There are still a lot of legacy machines that are still in use and CANNOT upgrade to 10.6, as they are PowerPC based. Yes, old systems still work. Why stop the app from working totally instead of just deprecating support for those systems?

281 Replies 281

Glen G.1
New member | Level 1

Ok well Spider Oak no longer seems to work, the older client borks on signing into their servers and says I need to upgrade.
Has anyone out there found a cloud syncing solution with a software client that works on PPC?
The countdown is on till Dropbox disconnects us all forever...

David T.75
New member | Level 1

I used SpiderOak until it stop working on my PPC. As soon as my son is back home from college (for summer break) I will be discontinuing my paid dropbox account. My solution is to use my FileTransporter to share files (I have been using the transporter for about two years). I would suggest getting a cheap Mac Mini so yo can run Lion. Then buy 2 transporters and use the MacMini as a bridge to your PPC. Currently I have a G5s, G4s, and G3s accessing the FileTransporter folder (on the MacMini) via a alias on the desktop of each PPC. Works like a charm. There is an initial cost to go this solution. But once done, you don't have fork over any more money. For mother's day weekend, you can get two Transporter Sync for the price of one, with the special code: MOTHERSDAY. Here is the URL to the store: http://filetransporterstore.com/collections/products/products/transporter-sync-2-pack

Jerzy G.
New member | Level 1

Michael O.4
New member | Level 1

Jerry G. Interesting. I will check what version they have up there now for downloading. Thanks.

Richard Schletty
Collaborator | Level 8

I found version 2 of iDrive (for PPC) by scrolling down the page a little further to where it says "Downloads for accounts created prior to 11-23-2011." – https://www.idrive.com/online-backup-download . After installing version 2, it refused to launch: "not supported on this architecture." I also found a troubling support thread t iDrive. Sounds like iDrive already went through a process similar to what Dropbox is doing now. Read here: http://forum.idrive.com/topic.php?id=72 Dennis, a Business Development Associate at IDrive, wrote: "The [older] account cannot be converted to our new infrastructure. This is because the underlying technology for your account is based on older techniques and older programming. Our new system was completely redesigned from the ground-up to take advantage of the latest innovations available to us. The older accounts are based on old technology that's incompatible with the new infrastructure." Is anyone successfully using iDrive 2 with iDrive 3?

Michael O.4
New member | Level 1

And - if it works - where can I download that older version?

I don't get it ... what is it about PPC which they all can't support any more?

Richard Schletty
Collaborator | Level 8

I don't get it. Both version 2 and 3 of iDrive install on my Mac PPC (10.5.8) but neither can run (the app icons have an X over them). The iDrive web site says that Mac OS 10.5 is supported but apparently PPC is not supported – an Intel processor is required. How do Jerzy G. get version 2 to run on a PPC Mac? It seems you can elect to use the legacy version of iDrive or the newer version, but not both under the same account. The files are not interchangeable due to fundamental differences in coding.

Luis D.
New member | Level 2

Dropbox is dropping us. Only 5 days until D-Day. I will have to sync all my stuff between machines that are 10 feet away with a flash drive. I will at least lose a pound or too over the next five years.

Ross H.
Helpful | Level 5

I've read through all of these and haven't seen another good "cloud" based solution offered, so I'll offer up the solution I have used for years and will be back to using solely for my PPC laptop. It is ChronoSync from Econ Solutions (I am just a user, no affiliation with the company). http://www.econtechnologies.com/chronosync/overview.html
You can set this up to sync two folders (or many other ways) and it mimics what DropBox would do. I have my laptop setup so that whenever it is mounted by my desktop machine, it initiates a sync. It isn't quite as seamless as Dropbox which runs whenever you get a network connection. If you have a "cloud" account, I think you could make it more similar. Or you could setup your home machine for external access. But, when I hear of some thinking of "sneaker-netting" files on a flash drive, this will definitely be FAR superior.

Jerzy G.
New member | Level 1

@Michael O. here is a working version of IDrive 2: <removed>

Edit: Unauthorised download link removed by forum moderator.

Need more support?