cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropboxcleanup.exe has stopped working - Windows 8.1

Dropboxcleanup.exe has stopped working - Windows 8.1

zx80
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I get the popup error message "Dropboxcleanup.exe has stopped working" about once every hour. This has been happening in the last 12 hours so I assume there's been a recent update. I'm on 168.4.4802. The error is happening as Dropboxcleanup.exe says it can't find api-ms-win-core-heap-l2-1-0.dll.

Thanks.

45 Replies 45

Whatever3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Well I read everything and all of us started getting the pop up error in March 2023, same for me. Obvious that Dropbox pushed out an auto update that was not correct. I am going to not spend one more second of my time on this and just ignore the pop up until Dropbox pushes out a fix. HELLO DROPBOX - Fix your stuff.

Jeremy N.2
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I've raised this whole issue as a formal support ticket, but - so far - only had the basic "level 1" non-technical response.  I'll let you all know if anything sensible / useful comes of this.

Aquaritone
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

This might be a clue to the problem. My Windows 7 computer is scheduled for automatic backup once a week. It takes several hours to complete. Last weekend I had to manually stop the backup before it was complete so I could shut-down the computer. The next time I started up this computer, the Dropboxcleanup.exe error message appeared--for the first time in several weeks. I closed the error message, and performed the Windows Backup. When it was finished I rebooted the computer and received no Dropbox error message. Its been four days and no error messages have appeared. It dawned on me that when I first got the error message a few weeks ago, the Windows 7 backup process had been interrupted as well, although I can't recall the specifics of that incident.

Someone wrote earlier that he or she was getting the error message on a Windows 10 machine. I'd be curious to know that person uses the Windows 7 backup procedure that comes with Windows 10.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy N.2
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

In the early stages of my ticket (in which I mentioned both the W7 and W8.1 issues) the Dropbox first-leve rep referred me to   https://help.dropbox.com/installs/system-requirements  and said that Win 7 isn't supported.  I've only just looked there (because MY problem is with W8.1 and a different DLL than yours) and yet that page says W7 /is/ supported.

What does that tell us about the competence of Dropbox support staff?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Jeremy N.2, I hope you're doing well! 

Could you kindly reply back with your ticket number reference, in order for me to locate it on our end? 

Keep me posted! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Jeremy N.2
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

It's 21779445.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Jeremy N.2, thank you for this! 

I was able to successfully locate your ticket, and I can see that it's now in the hands of our Advanced agents. Have you tried the latest steps they provided? 

I'd also suggest that you respond back to them with any concerns you might have, in order for them to be able to guide you, and give you the appropriate next steps. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Jeremy N.2
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I'm not going to do a reinstall.  The whole point of this complaint is to get the problem fixed at your end so that when the scheduled update happens all the affected users' Dropbox application fix themselves.

The problem isn't a showstopper, just very annoying.

Some of the other people in this discussion tried multiple reinstalls which did not work because the problem had not been fixed at your end.  If the latest release does fix the problem then we'll all find that out when our applications auto-update.  There's no need for a manual reinstall.  Why does no-one understand this?

Jeremy N.2
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I think I am being ignored in both this forum discussion and the ticket I raised.

Does anyone know how to get a problem escalated to people who understand technical issues, rather than those who just follow scripted responses (that in this case CANNOT solve the problem)?

jukesy1992
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I believe this might be because api-ms-win-core-heap-l2-1-0.dll is not on windows 7 at all. There's a lot more programs starting to use this win-core api in general, I've never seen any of these api dlls on win7 and am seriously thinking it might be a win10 thing. I'll be upgrading my rig at some point this year but this is annoying, and I'm seriously just thinking about uninstalling dropbox as I haven't used it in quite some time anyway. But, this might actually mean that win7 might no longer be supported by complete accident, so I don't know what the programmers have done. This is not a reinstalling issue, as Jeremy has said. This will keep on coming up, and I actually don't even know if it can be fixed for win7 users at all. I really hope I'm wrong.

Need more support?