cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox v177.4.5399 not syncing

Dropbox v177.4.5399 not syncing

leandrosilva
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Hello everyone,

My Dropbox (v177.4.5399) isn't syncing properly since yesterday.

2023-06-30 19_23_57-Dropbox Preferences.jpg

I already tried to restart the desktop, restart the app, clean the program cache, double checked the internet speed (500mb/s download and 100mb/s upload), bandwidth (don't limit), paused the antivirus, but unfortunately the sync continues stuck...

2023-06-30 19_23_40-.jpg

Looking forward to receiving your valuable help to fix this issue.

26 Replies 26

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Is it possible that you have more than 300K files syncing locally @leandrosilva

I'm asking, because that would be a soft-limit for the app. Can you locate your Dropbox folder, right click on it, and check its Properties? Feel free to also send me a screenshot, in order for me to have a visual. 

Provided that's the case, I'd suggest using selective sync, to free up some space locally.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

leandrosilva
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Hello @Megan,

Thanks for your reply.

Size: 18.6 TB
Files: 1 084 507
Folders: 93 002

Dropbox_Size.jpg

My Dropbox Business has more than 300k files since day one, which means that the number of files shouldn't be the cause for this issue.
Otherwise, the sync would be stuck from first day instead of just last week.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @leandrosilva, thanks for the screenshot.

It seems that the files you have locally are way more than 300K, and close to 1 million, or more which would justify this behavior. 

And even though the app might have worked in the past, that doesn't mean that it would continue to be consistent, since there are so many files. 

I'd suggest either using selective sync, and then checking how the app and the syncing process is going to go, or if you're on a Business plan, you can always try making the majority of your content online-only

Megan
dropbox.com/support

leandrosilva
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

@Megan the majority of the content is already online-only (from 18.6 TB, 1.33 TB are availble offline).

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @leandrosilva, as my colleague mentioned, since you have more than 300,000 files in your Dropbox folder, even if they're online-only, this would affect the Dropbox desktop application performance, which could result in the behavior you're experiencing currently.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

leandrosilva
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

@Jay the only potential solution for the sync stuck issue would be using "selective sync"?

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Yes, that would be the first step in order to reduce the number of files visible in your Dropbox folder to be below 300k files. This should improve the performance of the app.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

leandrosilva
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Most of Dropbox Business users have more than 300k files.

Why don't increase or remove that limit (limitation that apparently already has several years now)?

Unfortunately, I only found out about it last week and it's very frustrating to pay a Business subscription, and then have to upload files and folders through the Dropbox website (instead of the desktop app) because the folders are not immediately available on the computer...

leandrosilva
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

The experience using the Dropbox in the last few days has been very difficult and affecting considerably our professional capacity with all the days lost so far trying without sucess to solve this issue.

I selected only 3 folders in the selective sync, and it's taking longer than the first time when I synced everything.

Also, trying to upload through the website to folders that no longer appear locally, honestly it's a "terrible" solution work this way...

Having more than 300k files since day 1 without any sync issues, version after version. Since the last update, this sync issue began. Just coincidence?

As a business user, I believe we should have a cloud service with better features and gradual improvements (instead of rewinds) for its users.

In the past, we were able to see at least the list of files uploading andselect which ones we want to sync first. All those great features disappeared.

Is this the best Dropbox can do for its professional and business daily users?

I'm very disappointed about all this.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @leandrosilva, can you clarify your app's syncing status after you applied the selective sync settings there? 

Has the number of files that you see improved at all? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?