cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lyralina
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Dropbox installer fails, saying "The installer could not connect to the Internet. Ensure that your computer is connected to the Internet and your firewall allows DropboxUpdate.exe to connect then try again".

But there's internet because I'm able to browse the internet just fine. I have Windows 11 Home 64bit. 

So I tried installing using the Dropbox offline installer. I was able to install Dropbox, but when I try to start it, it still says "No internet connection. Your computer is currently offline. Please check your network settings."

Again, there is internet because I'm able to write this. Any ideas?

I only have Windows Defender now, but I used to have free trial of Mcafee that came with the computer but uninstalled it. I think it might be related?

100 Replies 100

Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Mark,

it's windows 10 64bit, latest updates installed.

as for dropbox, it's V172.4.7555.

computer time is correct and it is in sync with dropbox online.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Can you connect it to a different network? 

Unfortunately @Rich is right - something on your machine, or, at ISP level, is blocking Dropbox. A way of testing is trying different networks or disabling things like Little Snitch / VPNS

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi,

I wil try to connect to a wireless network, see if that helps.

If eventually turning off the firewall and antivirus works what do I do then?

Do I need to turn off the antivirus and firewall every time I want to use dropbox?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

If when you turn it off it works then you have set something up on the software to block Dropbox, so, you'll need to put rules in that allow it. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

AZI_doum
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello,

I have the famous error "Your computer is currently offline" when it is not.  I tried all the tricks found by googling, but the error remains.  I tried to follow the process with Process Moitor, made sure that the IP address range [removed per Community Guidelines] are fully accessible, but to no avail, the error just keeps popping up.

What is DropBox Windows desktop app looking for?

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @AZI_doum! Thanks for posting here. 

Do you have any antivirus/firewall that could be blocking your access to the Dropbox app? 

Also, if you’re on a Basic plan, can you please check how many devices are currently linked to your Dropbox account?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

AZI_doum
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am not getting to the point it asks for my credentials, since it thinks I am not connected to internet.  I deactivated all firewall and anti-virus, even the real time of Defender.  With Process Monitor, I see it sends out packets and then retransmit, for which I do not know what it means.  Packets are going out, I even tried a route through a VPN that does not block any traffic at all, still same results.

Sam DBX
Community Manager
Go to solution
Hi everyone,

I want to go through some of the main reasons you might be seeing the "No internet connection. Your computer is currently offline. Please check your network settings” message, and how you can fix it.

Why are you getting this message?

The most likely reason is that there is another app installed on your device or network that is trying to intercept Dropbox's traffic. You may also see this message if you’re on our Basic plan, and have already already signed into three devices — more info on this here

How can you resolve it? 

• If your computer is on a work network, we’d recommend checking the permissions with your IT staff.

• Update your software and operating system, as these updates often include patches for known vulnerabilities, and fix bugs and glitches that can lead to crashes or system instability.

These are the two common triggers for this message (that we’ve seen so far)! And as always, if you need further assistance, please let us know.

Thanks,
Sam 

kevin6666
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is obviously a compatibility issue with Windows 11, but Dropbox refuses to acknowledge it.  They just keep giving the same response to each question and it hasn't fixed a thing.  No one is having this problem on Windows 10.

Dropbox....Please stop being part of the problem and fix the issue.  Stop blaming it on people's settings.  The setting were no different on Windows 10 and everything was fine.  

Do your homework and fix it.

bburbank
New member | Level 2
Same problem here. Windows 11, paid pro dropbox account, refuses to connect. Disabled windows firewall / defender, tried different network and wifi adapters, nothing fixes it.

Never had trouble on a dozen computers and operating systems over the past 13 years.
Need more support?