cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox stopped launching from Windows 11 start menu or taskbar

Dropbox stopped launching from Windows 11 start menu or taskbar

Ian_A6
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Stopped working today (possibly after windows update yesterday?). Will launch from notification area but not the others. Trien reinstalling - no effect. 

Any ideas or anyone else seeing this behaviour?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ian_A6
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

So Dropbox support sorted it out. It was a beta version that had installed (I don't think I ever asked for beta but it was turned on in preferences). reinstalled stable version and all working 😊

View solution in original post

34 Replies 34

Ian_A6
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Just realised that its the same on my work PC running windows 10. Maybe a central Dropbox issue?

Ian_A6
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Also, I have Dropbox plus so I think I should have access to support via email or chat but I'm not getting those options to raise a ticket !

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Ian_A6, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Do you have any proxy, VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router settings that could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains?

You should be able to access the support page from your browser? What error do you get when logged in?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Ian_A6
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Hi Jay, doesn't appear to be any issue with windows firewall and I don't have any VPN or proxy software etc.  

I can launch Dropbox form here

Ian_A6_0-1700126472782.jpeg

but not from the icom on my taskbar or from the start menu. That support page link is allowing me to reach chat so I'll try that. Thanks

Ian_A6
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

So Dropbox support sorted it out. It was a beta version that had installed (I don't think I ever asked for beta but it was turned on in preferences). reinstalled stable version and all working 😊

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Happy to hear that, @Ian_A6!

If your issue returns or if you have any questions, do let us know.

Have a wonderful day!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

amk2
Explorer | Level 4

I am having the same problem -- started in the middle of the day, yesterday (12-5-23)  I have windows 11 and it suddenly stopped allowing me to get to drop box from the systray or the windows file explorer.  I worked with two drop box people on chat -- one had me to download and install current version of drop box.  Issue continues.  So I have to launch from the notification area.  I'd rather launch from the systray.  Any additional solutions?  One idea I tried is sometime on MSWindows in the past, an app like Outlook or Chrome won't launch from systray and I have to 'end task' to those apps that are running in the background.  There are 7 dropbox apps running in the background on my machine... I tried ending task on each one, but they come back so I'm not sure what that means.  Am I able to quit from the profile button in the notification app of dropbox by the clock.  I'm wondering whether that caused something?  I've never known I could access dropbox there, either.  Is that a new version of dropbox?  Any help is appreciated!  Thank you.

amk2
Explorer | Level 4

I have windows 11 and it suddenly stopped allowing me to get to Dropbox from the systray or the windows file explorer, mid-day yesterday (12-5-23).  It was working all morning just fine from the systray.  I worked with two Dropbox people on chat -- one had me to download and install current version of Dropbox which was already current and issue continues.  The other Dropbox tech remoted in and said after seeing what was happening, that it was likely a Microsoft Windows problem and I would have to launch from the notification area by right clicking the Dropbox icon on the bottom right near the clock and clicking on the file folder.   I'd rather launch from the systray like I've been doing for years. Any additional solutions?  One idea I tried is sometime on MSWindows in the past, an app like Outlook or Chrome won't launch from systray and I have to 'end task' to those apps that are running in the background.  There are 7 Dropbox apps running in the background on my machine... I tried ending task on each one, but they come back so I'm not sure what that means? Am I able to 'quit' from the profile button in the notification app of Dropbox by the clock and that will allow it to open from the icon in the systray?  I'm concerned if I say 'quit' from that notification area I might not be able to   access Dropbox at all so I haven't tried that. I've didn't know I could access Dropbox there --Is that a new version of Dropbox? Did that cause this issue?  Any help is appreciated!  Thank you.

Ian_A6
Collaborator | Level 9

Yes, this has happened to me again today. Last time, it was a bit of version that had been installed due to a switch in the settings, but not this time. Like you, I’m on the latest version so no idea what the problem is. Will try to sort tomorrow if it doesn’t right itself overnight.

Need more support?