cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox icon missing from menu bar on macOS Ventura

Dropbox icon missing from menu bar on macOS Ventura

Kunal
Helpful | Level 6

dropbox Icon missing from Menu Bar on macOS Ventura.

Before installing Ventura dropbox icon was visible in Menu Bar.

I stopped the dropbox application and restarted it and there was no change.

I uninstalled the dropbox desktop app and reinstalled it and it still does not appear.

The files are syncing when I add new files to the dropbox.

Please Help.

57 Replies 57

EMS3
Helpful | Level 6

@Nancy So seems that I found a solution. Quit every process, either in Activity Monitor or terminal, including all the Dropbox processes, then re-started Dropbox and the menu icon came back. The interesting thing is that Google Drive icon was then missing, even after Google Drive restarted, but came back after a few items were removed from the menu. So wondering if the notch is the issue?

Kunal
Helpful | Level 6
I managed to get the Icon back on my Menu bar.

I uninstalled Dropbox from my system and did a thorough removal of Dropbox using the advanced install guidance.

Then downloaded the version Dropbox163.4.5456.arm64.dmg

After doing the installation Dropbox moved from Favourites to Locations and then after that, the Dropbox icon was visible in the menu bar.

But I also feel the icon disappears because of something to do with the Notch.

Because if I don't use Dropbox for some time it disappears from the menu bar.

MARSRAM
New member | Level 2

Could this possibly be on the other end? For instance, the processes coming from computer's operating system. My suggestion which may be totally irrelevant, but never hurts, and yet in fact is a good maintenance routine for apple computers. I do this about every other month. I open the Disk Utility application which is nested in the Utilities folder located within the Applications folder. Within Disk Utility I make sure all disks are unhidden in the sidebar. I then select the internal main Hard Drive volume, not the disk it is nested in. This is not crucial, but it is recommended by Apples Help information that you start with this selection or choose this selection if its the only one you do so. After selecting the volume perform the FirstAid tool. This searches for anything out of place & repairs it. Usually the process can be fairly quick taking anywhere from a minute to 7 minutes or so. If your computer is older & the storage is quite full, it can take much longer in rare cases. It is not necessary, however, I systematically going on to every other disk & volume whether it be internal or an external hard drive and perform the First Aid on the remaining items shown in the sidebar. I have found this helps my computer & external hard drives running smoothly & efficiently.

wildcard
Explorer | Level 4

I'm having the same issue. I'm concerned about the technical level of some of these options. Anytime I need to dig into my Terminal I wonder whether it's worth the risk of causing more trouble than simply not seeing an icon in the Menu Bar. I would appreciate having updates from this thread if a solution is found that doesn't involve Terminal settings. 

Thanks.

Thierry3
Helpful | Level 5

I am working under MaCOS Ventura 13.1 and the Dropbox application which has a lot of files to synchronise after I revamped my folder regularly disappears from the menu bar which means I always have to relaunch the app.

I have rebooted the computer but it did not do anything 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Thierry3, how are you today?

I merged your post under this thread, since others had expressed the same inquiry, and I want to keep everything at the same place.

Feel free to have a look at what others have suggested, and all the troubleshooting steps mentioned, and let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ToLa78
Explorer | Level 4

Same issue on my end. Had Dropbox running smoothly for years on MacOs. Upgraded to Ventura a month ago, everything continued fine as before. As of yesterday, the menu bar item disappeared while the application seems to be running in the background fine and synchronizes. Re-start of the system brings to icon back for a minute, then it vanishes again. I did not install another app or did do anything suspicious to cause this problem. Please advice as this seems the be a spreading issue. 

ToLa78
Explorer | Level 4

I did solve the problem on my end myself and post the solution here in case it proves helpful for others. I found that the Dropbox menu bar icon is only missing when I don't have my widescreen monitor connected to my MacBook Pro. So widescreen seems to distend the space in the menu bar so it accommodates more icons. When I pull the cable to the monitor, the screen content shrinks back to the laptop size output and the Dropbox icon gets dropped from the menu bar not to be recovered (at least I couldn't solve it yet). I haven't found a solution for this on the MacOs end, which is likely causative for this issue. In my previous MacOs version (10.12 and below), it just happened in Ventura (10.13). I hope this helps to battle this annoying problem.

petermooreworld
Helpful | Level 6

I have a new MacBookPro w/OS Ventura,  and it's got the same issue.  I was able to delete some lesser used apps/icons in the menu bar and VOILA the dropbox icon re-appeared.  These MBP's have a blind tab in the top middle of the display, which I believe is obscuring some icons. It's deceptive, because the menu bar appears to have space available for one or two more on the side of that black tab.
(FWIW--- One of the apps/icons I hid was GoogleDrive.  I had to turn it off.  I often have to, and had to with my older MBP on Catalina, as Google conflicts with Dropbox's ability to show "online-only" type icons to the right of each file/folder name in the list.  Or even show the list of available actions when one right-clicks on a file.  That's still happening. But I suppose that's for another post.)

Jonathan F.3
Helpful | Level 6

I have the same problem. None of the posted suggestions that I've seen address this. Please provide a solution! 

Need more support?