cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox freezes and crashes my file explorer.

Dropbox freezes and crashes my file explorer.

currentj
Helpful | Level 5

Hello,

I am having trouble with dropbox working through my Windows file explorer.  For some reason, within the last week every time I try to navigate to one of my dropbox files the file explorer crashes and I have to force close the program.  I can open files from the specific application.  For instance, if I open Word and then open a file from word it will open, but if I try to open the same file from the windows file explorer it freezes.  I have tried to uninstall and reinstall.  Any other suggestions/solutions?

129 Replies 129

Y Fong
Explorer | Level 3
Hi Walter,

I appreciate the response. I am not using any 3rd party apps. I have been using Dropbox for years with no issues until this latest update. I, like @Melman, tried installing a previous and the problem went away until it was updated to the this current build. My problem is more severe, i had to hard restart Windows (or Windows restarts by itself) and eventually would not load Windows and j had to reset my laptop….
I also tried to reinstall Dropbox after resetting my PC, same issues arose. Very upsetting. Have you received other complaints from users?

Thank you!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Y Fong, can you try a more advanced reinstall of the application, to see if that helps?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Y Fong
Explorer | Level 3
Hello,
I already did a reset of the PC. The folders that you asked me to remove in registry are not there. I need to file a complaint that my laptop is not functioning since the disaster. It freezes up randomly now even without Dropbox installed. I learned from others that they have also experienced issues with this Build. I hope Dropbox can assist in compensating for loss of computer.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Y Fong, sorry to hear about that! 

It's rather odd that you're experiencing this, even when the app isn't currently installed. 

Do you recall, approximately how many files you had within your Dropbox folder? Is it possible that you were using more than 300K which is our app's soft limit

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Kuba2
Helpful | Level 5

I've got exactly the same problem since 3 days.

And strange thing is, it exist on every computer (4) in company.
WIndows 11 + Dropbox all of them

Every possible solution in internet was tried by me!

ssjandres
Explorer | Level 3

I started having the same issue 3 days ago. I read this entire thread and uninstalled and did the advance reinstall deleted the registry folders and the dropbox folders from the 3 locations. Even if I quit the Dropbox app (bottom right corner and quit) the folder just loads forever within windows explorer. I can, in fact, open files from within programs. 
Any other suggestions to solve this issue?

multipass
Explorer | Level 3

NOpe.. i still have it!!  can't use Dropbox in Explorer! so annoying

ssjandres
Explorer | Level 3

Same here. 3 days ago it started happening to me. I've tried advanced reinstall and all the solutions posted in all of the older threads like this one. Nothing seems to work.

Kuba2
Helpful | Level 5

I think this is really a dropbox problem.
It is really impossible that on all computers during the same day occured a problem.
Also there are no Dropbox sync icons from that day (I've unistalled OneDrive already and made other steps).

IvanPais
Explorer | Level 4

I'm having the same problem here, July 2024, menu is painfully slow, the context menu never opens, and files get stuck for ever to sync. Client service is miserable and only tells me once and again to update hardlinks, seems to be the only solution they have for everything.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

kriko42 New member | Level 2
    dglarseniy Helpful | Level 5
    keithrnorris Explorer | Level 4
    Kuba2 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?