cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
If you’ve changed your email address, now's the perfect time to update it on your Dropbox account and we’re here to help! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox makes my Win Explorer work extreme slow.

Dropbox freezes and crashes my file explorer.

currentj
Helpful | Level 5

Hello,

I am having trouble with dropbox working through my Windows file explorer.  For some reason, within the last week every time I try to navigate to one of my dropbox files the file explorer crashes and I have to force close the program.  I can open files from the specific application.  For instance, if I open Word and then open a file from word it will open, but if I try to open the same file from the windows file explorer it freezes.  I have tried to uninstall and reinstall.  Any other suggestions/solutions?

161 Replies 161

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @mo34, thanks for posting here! 

Based on everything you described, it sounds like it might be iCloud that's causing it. 

Generally we don't suggest that you use two cloud providers on the same path, as it may cause issues such as the one you mentioned. 

And since you identified that the issue resolved after uninstalling iCloud, then I tend to believe that was the culprit there.

I hope this helps!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

multipass
Explorer | Level 4

I'm not running icloud on PC and it's been going on for years!

I can't even use Dropbox!

Funny thing is, I can 'browse' normally when you click on the directorys in the left plane of explorer (the tree view) but when you double click you get a freezed system for almost 1 minute! so annoying! Just fix it! 

FLSunshine
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Megan,

Sorry for delayed response, this only happens when opening files from dropbox (not other programs).  

big folder size, not sure how to show you image, it wont attach..

Can you email me?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

You should be able to attach your screenshot by clicking our camera-like icon, when trying to reply back to me @FLSunshine.

I'd love to email you, however I also want to check a couple more things before I do, just to make sure all the information and troubleshooting is available to other users of our Community too. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

FLSunshine
Explorer | Level 4

that is not a valid option, instead of getting a picture to  add I see "source, image description....etc..." no place to add a file or take a picture. 

ssjandres
Explorer | Level 3
I never got an email from you. I checked the spam folder too. Can you please resend? I’ve tried all the options I’ve found, and it’s still no working.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @ssjandres, I just checked and it seems the email was successfully sent to your Community-linked email address, however it is now closed by the system.

Would you mind trying to contact our Support directly on your end, and sending over your ticket number reference? 

Also @FLSunshine, would you mind trying to do it using a different browser, please? 

Also, do you notice the same behavior if you try to quit the app, and then browse through your Dropbox folder while the app is closed? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

FLSunshine
Explorer | Level 4

FLSunshine_0-1723757962865.jpeg

i had to copy and paste this photo, is this what you are after?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Great job @FLSunshine, thanks for that!

Have you also tried the second suggestion from my previous reply about quitting the app? If so, what were the results? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

FLSunshine
Explorer | Level 4

i have done that many times, it was always crash.

Need more support?