cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox freezes and crashes my file explorer.

Dropbox freezes and crashes my file explorer.

currentj
Helpful | Level 5

Hello,

I am having trouble with dropbox working through my Windows file explorer.  For some reason, within the last week every time I try to navigate to one of my dropbox files the file explorer crashes and I have to force close the program.  I can open files from the specific application.  For instance, if I open Word and then open a file from word it will open, but if I try to open the same file from the windows file explorer it freezes.  I have tried to uninstall and reinstall.  Any other suggestions/solutions?

130 Replies 130

dglarseniy
Helpful | Level 5

Hello, I tried before what rdmetal suggested to do, and blocked updater, then installed 201.4.5551,  then i read ur post, and i unblocked updater and run dropbox, at first few seconds it closed by it self and started again with good old v202.4.5551 version. So i tested it now, and again it stuck. I am working on WinOLS and all my project are in dropbox folder, i work like this for last 5 years and yes while project open in winols dropbox cant sync it, but after i finish the project, it takes 5-20 minutes, dropbox was finishing syncing and all fine, now it says that there is sync problem and when i press on button near it it openes an empty window, explorer is stuck mean while.... after restarting dropbox it syncs the project and work fine. Where is the fix? i restarted the app, restarted the pc, i dont see update to new version or something, it feels like it stuck less, but it still stuck and i see white icons....

Right now i tested it after restart, i opened a project and closed it within 30 seconds, dropbox still run into error, cant sync 1 file and explorer is done, after i pause and start sync again there writing isnt going anywhere and explorer is stuck harder....

dglarseniy
Helpful | Level 5

Hello, I tried before what rdmetal suggested to do, and blocked updater, then installed 201.4.5551,  then i read ur post, and i unblocked updater and run dropbox, at first few seconds it closed by it self and started again with good old v202.4.5551 version. So i tested it now, and again it stuck. I am working on WinOLS and all my project are in dropbox folder, i work like this for last 5 years and yes while project open in winols dropbox cant sync it, but after i finish the project, it takes 5-20 minutes, dropbox was finishing syncing and all fine, now it says that there is sync problem and when i press on button near it it openes an empty window, explorer is stuck mean while.... after restarting dropbox it syncs the project and work fine. Where is the fix? i restarted the app, restarted the pc, i dont see update to new version or something, it feels like it stuck less, but it still stuck and i see white icons....

I've just tried to creat and close projecy fast, and i did it within 30 seconds, dropbox run into and error that he cant sync, explorer died, after i pause sync and start again, he cant sync the file, still writing that he cant sync 1 file, when i press on button i have there empty window.... only after dropbox restart everything syncing and working....

why i post this and after page refresh it is gone?
three time i am posting it and it disapear....

dglarseniy
Helpful | Level 5

Finaly i see my post....
No need to make error when file cant be synced, add retry every 30 seconds, after 5 minutes of retry make it every minute, after half hour of retries make an error. Ur cloud drive is fast and good, really, but it is trying to sync so hard that it is killing explorer

dglarseniy
Helpful | Level 5

Now i dont know why it didnt slow the explorer, run into error, cant sync and successfully synced after pause.... Are u trying to add Skynet here? It doesnt like us at all from the dropbox use....

dglarseniy
Helpful | Level 5

Now it looks like i see the fix. Now it is in error that cant sync and explorer isnt dead, the question will it ever retry to sync this file? or i need to pause and continue?

kriko42
New member | Level 2

Thanks, downgrading to 201.4.5552 and using firewall to prevent update worked for me

Kuba2
Helpful | Level 5

Which solution worked for You @kriko42 ?

keithrnorris
Explorer | Level 4

After two weeks I finally gave up.  Support is useless.   For some reason one of my three devices does not have any problems yet.  Dropbox insisted that it is a problem with my device.  Obviously by reading this forum it is a Dropbox issue.  Switched to OneDrive and works good.

dglarseniy
Helpful | Level 5

After one day of testing, they solved the problem, everything work fine again.

kriko42
New member | Level 2

Downgrading to 201.4.5552 and using firewall to prevent update

Need more support?