cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox freezes and crashes my file explorer.

Dropbox freezes and crashes my file explorer.

currentj
Helpful | Level 5

Hello,

I am having trouble with dropbox working through my Windows file explorer.  For some reason, within the last week every time I try to navigate to one of my dropbox files the file explorer crashes and I have to force close the program.  I can open files from the specific application.  For instance, if I open Word and then open a file from word it will open, but if I try to open the same file from the windows file explorer it freezes.  I have tried to uninstall and reinstall.  Any other suggestions/solutions?

161 Replies 161

Kuba2
Helpful | Level 5

I've tried it at least 5 times, no change at all, after 10 minutes freezes as always.

Kuba2
Helpful | Level 5

Exactly the same 4 issues! And of course the same version.

dglarseniy
Helpful | Level 5

Nothing changed, after few successful syncs, all slows down again. Now i am angry. Fix it fast. I am not going to wait for long, i will change cloud drive till end of the week if this will not be fixed.

Kuba2
Helpful | Level 5

It's sad that probably we should start looking for alternatives 😞

mhasteley
Helpful | Level 6

NB it affects the current Beta releases too - 203.3.4712 and 203.3.4740

rdmetal
Explorer | Level 4

Hey everyone, I have a temporary fix for Windows users (in case it affects other platforms).

Please be wary that this solution is not something Dropbox would recommend doing and I am not sure if this has any further repercussions on the functioning of Dropbox. Also if you're not careful, you might incur data loss. Please also remove this after Dropbox releases an updated version (you'll have to check manually).

1. Download the latest working version (for me at least) of Dropbox: 201.4.5551 (Offline installer)
  2. In your firewall: block the Dropbox Updater at 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Update\DropboxUpdate.exe' to prevent Dropbox from updating.
  3. Uninstall the current Dropbox version (no need to delete files or log out)
  4. Install the downloaded version, log in after it's installed and it should do the initial sync as always

To remove: simply remove the firewall rule you added and Dropbox should auto-update soon enough (it needs to be closed and opened again for it to happen though).

mhasteley
Helpful | Level 6

Agreed!

I've tested it on the Beta channel builds as well, as the current stable version and it has the same problems. (v203.3.4712 & v203.3.4740).

dglarseniy
Helpful | Level 5

I did what u said, and it didnt help, i am running on 201.4.5551 and still for no reason i see error that something cant be synced and it is stuck....

BenDBX
Community Manager

Hi Everybody,

Thanks again to everyone who reported this. Our Engineering team has implemented a fix. These sync issues should resolve automatically, or if you restart the Dropbox application.

If you're still experiencing sync problems on Windows after restarting Dropbox, let me know here and I'll pass it along for further investigation.

Ben

mhasteley
Helpful | Level 6

From initial testing, seems to be sorted (no restart). Thank you!

Beta v203.3.4740

Need more support?