cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox makes my Win Explorer work extreme slow.

Dropbox freezes and crashes my file explorer.

currentj
Helpful | Level 5

Hello,

I am having trouble with dropbox working through my Windows file explorer.  For some reason, within the last week every time I try to navigate to one of my dropbox files the file explorer crashes and I have to force close the program.  I can open files from the specific application.  For instance, if I open Word and then open a file from word it will open, but if I try to open the same file from the windows file explorer it freezes.  I have tried to uninstall and reinstall.  Any other suggestions/solutions?

130 Replies 130

BenDBX
Community Manager

Hi Everybody,

Thank you for reporting this. I've notified our Engineering team who is currently investigating. We'll post an update here when we have more information to share.

Thanks,

ben

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for your post, @dglarseniy

What’s the app version you see running on your Dropbox app? Also, what’s the syncing status it shows now, when syncing isn’t paused? Feel free to send a screenshot of it, as well.

Did you notice this behavior after a specific OS/Dropbox update? 

Let me know, and we can take a closer look.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dglarseniy
Helpful | Level 5
So, all three my pcs runing on same dropbox version, 1 laptop on windows 10, one lap on win11 and the pc we r talking about is a big and new one and not laptop, started on win10 and on win11 now. All dropbox versions are the same and i really never seen dropbox updating, so i dont know when it happened, i started to feel it like a week ago. About a status, if i let dropbox to slowdown explorer for 10+ minutes nvm what it is syncing, it never ends, just write syncing and it never ends. If i press pause syncing for 10 minutes, it changes its status to "Pausing" and it never changes to "paused till (time)", so i just turn it off, all start to run great, then i turn it on again, it finishes the syncing, status is "All synced" or something and all fine till next sync.... it successes to sync, but explorer starts to slowdown... In this situation i am starting to have feeling that i cant ignore dying ssd version since i have this issue only on one pc out of three and on same conditions.... But how to understand the real reason if when i turn of dropbox everything works great....

keithrnorris
Explorer | Level 4

Ben, you are doing nothing but putting the blame on our systems.  This is a dropbox problem and now I have lost everything in the cloud.  Get to work and fix it!  I have been emailing for days.  This is happening on multiple computers!  

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @dglarseniy, could you try deleting the cache folder using these steps to see if this helps with the Dropbox desktop application?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

shastings
Helpful | Level 5

There are at least two other open threads showing MANY other users experiencing the same issues. DropBox: Look at the pattern. This is not about our caches, OS, anti-virus software, wi-fi, etc. It's about vs 202.4.5551. Quitting and restarting the app isn't a longterm solution. Performing an advanced reinstall doesn't work. Quit asking us to.

Please. Fix it. 

mrconnor
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

We're having similar issues on all our PCs. A mixture of windows 10 & 11. Explorer is fine after a

restart but once Dropbox has synced a few files explorer is slow. Icons for all files within dropbox just shoow as blank white, with no additional dropbox green tick/cloud icons. 

Also dropbox will widget will show that it's currently syncing a file and doesnt show recently synced files (as though it's stuck/not working), but on dropbox web browser everything is fine. 

Dropbox 202.4.5551

mrconnor
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

Hi

We're  issues on all our PCs and dropbox. A mixture of windows 10 & 11.

On boot Dropbox and Explorer work fine. Once you start working/syncing files issues start:

1 - Explorer slow. Right click on a file/folder takes ages to load menu, and sometimes dropbox menu items dont appear. Means you cant create links dropbox links to files.

2 - Explorer icons - Dropbox ticks/cloud icons dissappear from files/folders as though Dropbox isnt running

3 - Dropbox - desktop app shows Dropbox 'syncing' a random file as though its stuck. Doesnt show recent files that have been uploaded to make you think the app isnt working, but on the web browser files are up to date

4 - Restart and everything works again, but once Dropbox has synced a few new files it all breaks again.

Dropbox 202.4.5551

Thanks

dglarseniy
Helpful | Level 5

Exactly the same symtoms! Phew i am not the one! And yes, it is the version! But how could it be that it isnt the same on all my pcs i work with? How smart is this bug is that it can choose? Where is the solution?

dglarseniy
Helpful | Level 5

I turned off dropbox, then deleted all what was insde cache folder, turned dropbox on, it turned on faster, i made a test sync of one file and looks like there is no effect on explorer now, i will work today and let u know. Hope it solved it.

Need more support?