cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox folder bounces in the dock on Mac when syncing.

Dropbox folder bounces in the dock on Mac when syncing.

izaacmp
Helpful | Level 5

NOTE: a thread already exists for this issue but was closed without a solution. I'm writing this here to reopen it.

The Dropbox folder in my dock (Mac OS Sequoia) bounces every time a file is updated by dropbox Sync. When syncing hundreds of files, it will bounce constantly. When opening a cloud document (online-only document that is opened via the desktop file explorer and temporarily loaded onto the computer), it also bounces. This means that if I even use quick-look to preview a batch of images, my dropbox folder icon will bounce incessantly as it loads higher-resolution preview thumbnails.

People have tried disabling this in terminal and it hasn't worked. I haven't personally tried the terminal method due to these reports, but I would prefer to manage this in the notifications preferences of Dropbox instead. Even with everything turned off on my notification preferences, it still bounces.

5 Replies 5

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @izaacmp, let's jump right into this! 

Was that always the case & behavior when it came to your Dropbox folder, or is this something that started happening recently? 

Would you mind clarifying the version of the Dropbox desktop app that you're using on your end too? 

Let me know more, and we'll take it from there! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

izaacmp
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks Megan for following up 🙂

I only recently re-added the Dropbox folder to my dock about a week ago, and its been occurring the whole time. I believe I also had it in my dock 1 year or so ago without this issue, but I can't be certain.

I'm using v209.4.3661 on macOS 15.0.1 on the Apple Silicon/ARM platform.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the heads up @izaacmp! 😀

I did some digging, and this might be related to your OS, and the settings there rather than Dropbox, but in any case we'll look into it to see what we can find.

Have you tried turning off "animate opening applications" in System Preferences, by any chance? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

izaacmp
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for looking into this. I tried your suggestion and I really thought it might work—but it didn't.

However, it did have me thinking a bit more about the interaction between the Dropbox App, the Dock, and the Dropbox Folder. The Downloads folder on the Mac does the same animation anytime something from Safari finishes downloading to the folder. I assume there is a system event that is triggered when the Dropbox App finishes syncing a file. There should be a way for Dropbox to not trigger this animation though. I'm now looking for manual overrides.

DBX_Pedro
Community Manager

Hi @izaacmp,

Thanks for getting in touch. 

We've shared this with our team to investigate this issue, and we'll let you know as soon as we have an update. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DBX_Pedro Community Manager
    izaacmp Helpful | Level 5
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?