cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox asking me to sign in to the app every time I get on my computer - How can I remove it?

Dropbox asking me to sign in to the app every time I get on my computer - How can I remove it?

ReallyAnnoyedWithDragon
New member | Level 2

Every time I turn on my Mac, this drop box sign in prompt appears (second image below), and there is also a drop box logo in the menu bar on the top right corner of my screen (black strip, first icon in pic below). I never did anything to make this happen, and I cannot get rid of it. 

I have an old drop box account that I never use. I have no idea how this happened, and have no need for this to appear every time I turn on my computer.

I feel hijacked by drop box and I'm really annoyed. Because I don't have a paid plan I can't get any direct help of any kind from drop box. This is really bad and really wrong. I have their stuff on my computer that I can't get rid of and there is no way to ask them for help! 

Can someone please help me get rid of this? I'd be SO grateful. Thank you so much. 🙏

Screenshot 2024-07-06 at 12.03.40 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-07-06 at 11.46.03 AM.png

10 Replies 10

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@ReallyAnnoyedWithDragon wrote: 

... I never did anything to make this happen, and I cannot get rid of it. 

Hm... 🤔 @ReallyAnnoyedWithDragon @, Is it possible Dropbox application has installed itself? I don't think so. In this context, is there something that prevent you uninstall it (wipe it out of your applications list) if you don't need it anymore?! 😉

Good luck.

Sarahltc
New member | Level 2

This is also happening to me. I have Windows 11 and every time I access the internet the Drop box sign in box comes up. It is so annoying! It seems to be a common problem but the advice that is given involves headings on Settings that don't exist on my computer.

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Sarahltc, just for clarification, do you have that device currently linked to your Dropbox account, and is the desktop app running and syncing normally?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Sarahltc
New member | Level 2

I'm afraid I'm not very tech savvy. I have Drop box bookmarked at the top of the screen with the sign in details saved. I don't use Drop box that often so would just open it when needed. Now whenever I go on the internet a sign-in box automatically pops up without prompting and I have to clear it. This has only recently started to happen (three weeks ago?)

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Is the prompt you're seeing on the website, or is it a separate program window?

It's possible you might have the app installed on your machine, but not signed into your account.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Sarahltc
New member | Level 2

The sign-in box, that covers a good part of the screen, is just like the image shown by the first person in this thread (see top of page). If I click on the x a second smaller box comes up asking whether I would like to sign in later. 

However if I want to go on Dropbox in the usual way I click on the bookmarked Dropbox at the top of my page and it opens straightaway as it always has done. I don't need to sign in as the password etc is saved. I don't know why a sign in box is popping up every time I go on the internet whether I want to use Dropbox or (on most occasions) not. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Thanks, this means that you have installed the Dropbox desktop application. If you're not using it, you can uninstall it by following these steps.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Sarahltc
New member | Level 2

I don't have a 'Quit' option. Would 'Log out' be the same?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

No, log out sounds like you're looking at the Dropbox site instead, could you continue with the other steps to uninstall the app?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Sarahltc New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?