cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox app on Windows 7, and the pop-up system tray appears funky.

Dropbox app on Windows 7, and the pop-up system tray appears funky.

avengerx
Helpful | Level 6

I have a little old notebook that's 1024x600 screen and Windows 7, and it's been long since I can't easily see and change some settings in the app interface unless I do some hacks.

I searched some and didn't see anybody else complain about this issue. Any chance we could get this fixed, or we'd better off making AHK scripts to force change windows heights and scrollbars if I really want to see all settings in options dialogs and the top line in the main sync screen?

For the main sync screen I can actually work around the issue by alt+space, then choose move, and move the window down. But for the settings, I would need, say, to create an AHK script to increase the window height so I could move the window up (and out of viewport) and see the "dropbox path" option.

A few versions old, I was still able to see all settings, but the main sync screen has been cut out from my (tiny) desktop for a long time.

I also use dropbox windows app in some bigger screens without issues for win10 and mac computers.

12 Replies 12

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @avengerx, I definitely appreciate all the added info! 

May I ask if you've installed the Windows 7 security update KB3033929 on your computer? It's needed for the Dropbox desktop app to work properly, that's why I'm asking.

I'd also like for us to try one more thing. Would you mind creating a new user profile on your Windows 7 device, and check if the same behavior is noticeable there? 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

avengerx
Helpful | Level 6

May I ask if you've installed the Windows 7 security update KB3033929 on your computer? It's needed for the Dropbox desktop app to work properly, that's why I'm asking.

That security update sure is installed on my win7 machine. Dropbox is syncing fine since last update, I only get visual issues due to the viewport height being inferior to 768 pixels. I don't really expect it to be fixed for such an edge case, I'm honestly through this issue, I'll just live with that, and use an AHK script if I need to resize the window to see the unreachable settings.

I'd also like for us to try one more thing. Would you mind creating a new user profile on your Windows 7 device, and check if the same behavior is noticeable there? 

Hey, I just said I reproduced the issue in win10 with a super-large screen (properties dialogs, that is). Options are not unreachable like in the little win7 one, but they sure are cropped out as I did try to show in the various screenshots in the previous message -- I even shown the "fixed" window by force-increasing the height to 620px. Another user in the win7 machine is not going to change the fact the screen resolution is 1024x600. I don't mean to be rude but I'm really feeling played here.

Maybe we can just close this thread, I'm probably the only one using dropbox in a 1024x600 windows 7 machine to this day and age. The computer is over 15 years old now.

Just in case, the fixes I would expect are:
1. for the main dropbox status window/popup (displayed when we click the tray icon) to be adjustable to Windows Viewports with less than 600 px height (actually around 550 due to the taskbar taken space)

2. for the properties window to be properly scrollable, i.e. its internal "white content area" to fit the actual window height instead of being a fixed height. AHK Inspector suggests that's a Google Chrome browser shell, so I suppose that's HTML/javascript therein, and it is possible, even in a portable way, to implement such behavior with viewport, load events, or window change ones.

I understand a single person is enough wind to require a fix in the UI. Perhaps one day more people show up complaining about this issue or similar ones, or even a new UI layout technology update fixes that for good; but until then it's probably not worth the trouble. I rarely use that win7 computer.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this @avengerx - we've passed it on to the team internally and you can let us know if you have anything else to add.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    avengerx Helpful | Level 6
    Megan Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?