cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox app doesn't startup well with Windscribe VPN Firewall

Dropbox app doesn't startup well with Windscribe VPN Firewall

jimdunn
Explorer | Level 3

I use the Windscribe VPN Firewall ON ALL THE TIME mode on my Windows 10 desktop.  I have to do a "delayed Dropbox startup" because the dropbox systray icon will go "gray" if it starts too fast.  I'm guessing that there's a conflict with Windscribe.  Even with the delay, sometimes, the icon will still "go gray" and never recover.  The dropbox icon gets stuck in "Connecting..." but never connects.  If I stop/restart the dropbox systray app, it will connect fine.  If I delay longer on startup it seems happier.  I'm hoping to report this so the developers could add some sort of "timeout" such that a scan for the new VPN IP address could be used?

4 Replies 4

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @jimdunn, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

What is the setting you have currently in the Dropbox desktop application for the proxy itself?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

jimdunn
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, sorry so long to reply, my PROXY SETTINGS are on AUTO DETECT.  I am using WINDSCRIBE VPN with their FIREWALL in ALWAYS ON mode -- meaning that there is no connection to the internet during bootup until Windscribe connects a tunnel.

So far I have two issues:

1)  if the dropbox app starts "too soon" in the computer boot startup process, it will go "attempting to connect" forever and grayed out; I have worked around this by not using auto start but having a script start it manually a few minutes later

2)  but that brings us to problem # 2, which is that dropbox will "go gray" sometimes thruout the day, if Windscribe reconnects for any reason, dropbox will go zombie (I assume it's because the Windscribe Firewall blocking any traffic when tunnel disconnected)

But the solution is always the same -- if I exit dropbox and restart the app, it will "find the internet" and work.  Sometimes it will work all day, but some days it will go "gray zombie" 2-3 times per day.  Again, if I stop/restart then it continues working.  I have screenshots, if you want them, but it just shows the dropbox icon grayed out and when you hover it says "Connecting..." forever and inside the app it says "Reconnecting to the internet. This may take..."

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Since it sounds like Windscribe itself is blocking the internet because it reconnects and blocks all traffic, this does affect the Dropbox desktop application.

There isn't much I can suggest except to quit and restart the app when your VPN has to reconnect.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

jimdunn
Explorer | Level 3

I don't know if this message will be read by anyone "higher up" at Dropbox... but the Dropbox competition does NOT have any problems on my machine while running Windscribe VPN.  Both GOOGLEDRIVE and ONEDRIVE work FINE !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!!  Maybe Dropbox needs to re-write their connection source code so it will properly detect and connect.  Because of this problem with Dropbox, I am being forced to move to OneDrive INSTEAD OF PURCHASING DROPBOX PREMIUM !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!! !!!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jimdunn Explorer | Level 3
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?