cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to know what we learned at IBC? Check out our learnings on media, remote working and more right here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Not working after restart: Reconnecting to the internet. This may take a moment.

Dropbox Not working after restart: Reconnecting to the internet. This may take a moment.

Domscillator
Helpful | Level 6

I have been experiencing a very frustrating issue with Dropbox the past few days.

Issue: After restarting my Mac Studio (MacOS 13.6.5), Dropbox always gets stuck with the message: 

Reconnecting to the internet. This may take a moment.

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 23.35.44.png

• No VPN
  • No Firewall
  • Home Network
  • Fully updated Dropbox

The thing that is baffling is that :

1. If you Quit and restart Dropbox it works immediately but if you restart the computer the issue appears again
  2. If you wait for a long time Dropbox eventually connects and syncs. But it takes a long time
  3. On the same computer, about a week ago, Dropbox was syncing instantly after reboot. 

I have tried already reinstalling and deleting the cache folder.

Is this a known issue that's going on at the moment>

Many thanks

120 Replies 120

MothraNOVA
Explorer | Level 4

Nancy, I believe you may be the cats' pajamas because I think that worked. Thank you so much. 

MothraNOVA
Explorer | Level 4

Well I spoke too soon. Swapping out the beta version of dropbox for the more stable one fixed the "reconnecting to the internet" issue but now I am stuck on indexing 520 files, and uploading over 1000 and downloading 1600 (sometimes this number fluxuates but it doesn't seem to steadily go DOWN and has told me it will take 2 days for the last almost 2 weeks--since I first started to have this issue) since I thought i solved the problem. And while it seems new files etc are syncing from my computer (like docs) to the cloud, I can't access any of the folders and files that I used to have living "offline" as well as online. I am not able to force a download of a photo for example, which used to actually live native on my harddrive in my personal dropbox folder. I honestly don't know how this got so fudged up but I am stumped. It is causing trouble syncing on all my other computers as well. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @MothraNOVA, thanks for the update here.

Can you try these steps to fix your hardlinks, to see if they help?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

MothraNOVA
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Hannah thanks for that. Was that supposed to do something kind of instantly, like i would see some sort of change? Because I do not see anything different. I am still kind of stuck here.  I also don't quite understand why I am having

so many problems with dropbox. 

Screenshot 2024-07-02 at 11.53.57 AM.png

MothraNOVA
Explorer | Level 4

BTW, I just needed to send my resume to someone for something, aside from having to put together a memorial photograph slide show for a funeral on Saturday for my boss and bestie and I can't do either because my files are stuck in some kind of limbo in dropbox. I understand that you all are trying to help but I really would like to know why, after all these years of using dropbox with zero problems, having a personal AND a teams dropbox that I pay for, that I haven't been able to sort this out for days. And this isn't even the only problem I have. I am so frustrated. Every time I try to open a file I think is living on my mac, it just adds it to the queue of files that have been waiting to sync for the last week+ 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

I'm really sorry to hear that, @MothraNOVA, I can understand how frustrating this must be, but we'll get to the bottom of this for sure.

Fixing your hardlinks and permissions should help with syncing, if it's stuck, but let's check something else.

Can you check how much bandwidth the Dropbox app is using on your computer, in case it's limited for some reason?

In the meantime, you can always access your Dropbox files from the website as well.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

MothraNOVA
Explorer | Level 4

I appreciate that I can access my files which are almost impossible to actually see on dropbox.com but if I wanted to access my files in the cloud exclusively I wouldn't be paying over $2000 for Dropbox, I'd just use google drive and icloud. ðŸ™‚

I have my bandwidth set for dropbox to decide for itself what it needs. Screenshot 2024-07-02 at 1.06.17 PM.png

MothraNOVA
Explorer | Level 4

Also I have discovered that work that I did from this past weekend has not uploaded so it is not syncing new work and files. because they are stuck in the queue. 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey again, @MothraNOVA. Can you please right click on your local Dropbox folder, go to "Get info", and send me a screenshot of the next window you’ll see?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

MothraNOVA
Explorer | Level 4

You bet. This is my personal dropbox because that is what is hung. 

Screenshot 2024-07-02 at 5.28.24 PM.png

Need more support?