cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Location Change on MacOS 12.6

Dropbox Location Change on MacOS 12.6

OldMacGuy
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Just installed DropBox update v157.4.4808 on a MacbookPro 13,3 running MacOS 12.6.  DropBox location was moved by installer to ~/library/CloudStorage and alias moved from "Favorites" to "Locations" in sidebar.  DropBox support doc "https://help.dropbox.com/installs/macos-faqs" says new location due to change in MacOS.  HOWEVER, installed same DropBox version on an iMac 18,3 running MacOS 12.6 and the location did not change!  DropBox alias remains in "Favorites".

Anyone else run across this discrepancy?

Anyone have an idea as to cause of this discrepancy?

72 Replies 72

mscottpath
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I had Dropbox from its earliest days and paid for a 2TB plan. I've now cancelled Dropbox because it has become worthless due to the location change (lack of support for external drives) and the fact that Dropbox has also become intrusive (almost malware like) to the MacOS system itself. The MacOS "Screen Capture" function has been taken over by Dropbox, despite me having said "NO" to using Dropbox as its destination. The only way to restore the default "Screen Capture" mode is via using the Terminal application.  I now use Sync.com. A little slower, but that is because, unlike Dropbox, it uses end-to-end encryption.

vsloth
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I was unaware of this issue, until i last night was hit with the same prompt y'all is dealing with.

my entire teams work structure is now utterly crippled and i'm literally here in the studio in the weekend pulling out my hair trying to navigate the damage this has created so far.

so many broken links, so much data just mixed up now between client computers and our edit computers. it's such a mess.

is there really no update from Dropbox side? this is a costly move for many of their more pro clients.

jeeesus christ.

benjackson
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I posted this already but I'm guessing Dropbox has deleted it.

This will solve the problem for those that want Dropbox syncing on their external drive. I found out from Daring Fireball (John Gruber) - always a good resource. It uses the Dropbox API to access your Dropbox and sync separately. 

Here's some caveats and help for issues: https://daringfireball.net/2023/07/nerding_out_with_maestral_launchcontrol_and_keyboard_maestro

https://github.com/SamSchott/maestral/releases/tag/v1.7.3

Enjoy

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

benjackson Helpful | Level 6
    vsloth Helpful | Level 5
    mscottpath Helpful | Level 6
    devapplermgr New member | Level 2
    ch7img New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?