cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Musicians, convert your MuseScore files to PDF to play music on the go! Learn more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Location Change on MacOS 12.6

Dropbox Location Change on MacOS 12.6

OldMacGuy
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Just installed DropBox update v157.4.4808 on a MacbookPro 13,3 running MacOS 12.6.  DropBox location was moved by installer to ~/library/CloudStorage and alias moved from "Favorites" to "Locations" in sidebar.  DropBox support doc "https://help.dropbox.com/installs/macos-faqs" says new location due to change in MacOS.  HOWEVER, installed same DropBox version on an iMac 18,3 running MacOS 12.6 and the location did not change!  DropBox alias remains in "Favorites".

Anyone else run across this discrepancy?

Anyone have an idea as to cause of this discrepancy?

72 Replies 72

podusa
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
So, it’s been REALLY quiet in here regarding this issue. Is someone from Dropbox going to step in to answer this very simple question? Is this permanent or not. I’m ready to leave since I’m getting no answer or explanation to what’s going on. This is just not good enough. Embarrassing to be honest…

structaural
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Well, that's the end of me using Dropbox after 12 years. I need all my files on my 2TB SSD. I can't even make a total offline backup of my Dropbox anymore, this is bad security.

There's lots of other problems too. I can't seem to get Calculate Folder Sizes in the Finder anymore - Apple must restrict this in 'cloudstorage' area, even with a Get Info I can't see the sizes of folders - whether offline or online. Not useful when organising offline/online folders.

Yeah, Apple are controlling d*ckheads who constantly make my life a misery in the name of 'security' even though we all know it's in the name of 'we want you totally locked into our ecosystem like on the ipad'.` How dare they tell me where my data or my apps (Dropbox) should be stored. I should have gone with a PC that'll teach me.
But the fact that OneDrive seemed to have a work-round shows that Dropbox don't really care about Mac users anyway.

So OneDrive it is. Annoying though. I much preferred Dropbox, but they are no good to me now.

structaural
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It just gets better and better, this now happens about twice a day.

Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 14.30.14 Medium.jpeg

 

Anders H.3
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

That is interesting. I always thought Dropbox was better than OneDrive on Mac (why I pay for it although I have OneDrive through Office 365), but MS is clearly more responsive here.

Only worry is that that MS solution seems like a kind of hack, and who knows if it will continue to work? Apple could swat it down.

Arno K.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I would like to know this too.
About a year ago I bought a new iMac and 2 superfast external drives BECAUSE Dropbox supported this.
These drives need to be synced at all time and simply cannot be put in online storage online.
All my files for development are there with several projects that need tens of thousands of live files for performance reasons.

Even worse; all my previously synced files from my external drives have disappeared from my Dropbox account.
Please react and fix this asap!

This is a major breach of contract and reason to file a law suit

Arno K.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

By the way....

It should be very easy for DropBox to solve this: Symlinks

A few years ago Dropbox deciced to not follow symlinks and only copy the symlink file itself.
If it would allow at least symlinks to external drives, this issue would be solved right away.

ch7img
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

so we should make some pression on mac too, I think

ch7img
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

That dosn't.

And Apple is not God!

ch7img
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Or you can tell apple, that your customer find their policy sucks!

devapplermgr
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Where is the "Dislike" button?

The answers are consistent - we can't use alt drives for dropbox.  This is a CORRUPTIVE "feature".  See following...

I had an alias down into my Dropbox (and placed this alias into the finder sidebar) before it got moved.  However, now that the Dropbox got moved, my alias is no longer pointing to anything in the active Dropbox space.  Worse yet - I've been saving files (using my alias) for at least a month and just now discovered this alias no longer syncs with my moved-Dropbox anymore!  Now I have two different locations of duplicated (yet different in versions) files all over the place!

WHAT A MESS!

How can I fix this? Or should I just delete Dropbox and go to Box or something else?

Need more support?